Like Tree8Likes

Umbrella bags

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,040

    Umbrella bags

    Do we really need umbrella bags? And at what cost to the environment? Hong Kong charges .50 (which I think should be higher) for a shopping bag to discourage plastic bag use and encourage bringing your own bag.......but than turns around and puts how many million free bags per year just to cover an umbrella?

    Shouldn't there be some way to encourage carrying your own, re-usable umbrella bag....just like the shopping bags.

    Or is it because the umbrella bags are non-weight bearing bags, they can be constructed out of a more eco-friendly material? But even if the bags are more eco-friendly...how eco friendly can it be to have millions of plastic bags used for just a short period of time and than thrown away?? I would hope they could all be recycled, but I see most of them thrown in rubbish bins with other trash....

    So I ask again....do we really need plastic unbrella bags at the entrance to all buildings?

    wizardofoz likes this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Convenience Store
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket
    Do we really need umbrella bags? And at what cost to the environment? Hong Kong charges .50 (which I think should be higher) for a shopping bag to discourage plastic bag use and encourage bringing your own bag.......but than turns around and puts how many million free bags per year just to cover an umbrella?

    Shouldn't there be some way to encourage carrying your own, re-usable umbrella bag....just like the shopping bags.

    Or is it because the umbrella bags are non-weight bearing bags, they can be constructed out of a more eco-friendly material? But even if the bags are more eco-friendly...how eco friendly can it be to have millions of plastic bags used for just a short period of time and than thrown away?? I would hope they could all be recycled, but I see most of them thrown in rubbish bins with other trash....

    So I ask again....do we really need plastic unbrella bags at the entrance to all buildings?
    I guess making plastic bags which can be recycled and remade into other umbrella bags is a whole lot better than you me and everyones grandma needing hip operations from all the water splashed at the entrance of the malls here.. Most big malls here have slippery enough floors as is.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeAbides
    I guess making plastic bags which can be recycled and remade into other umbrella bags is a whole lot better than you me and everyones grandma needing hip operations from all the water splashed at the entrance of the malls here.. Most big malls here have slippery enough floors as is.

    But why can't people use a reusable umbrella bag...like most do with grocery bags?

    Or come up with some other ideas....seems like a very archaic practice for such a hip city...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,035

    I try to reuse mine and therefore usually keep one in my bag. really hate to enter shops or mtr with a wet umbrella.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    317

    once you used it, it is wet
    and most likely, it is wet inside and out
    how do you take a wet bag with you all day long?
    another reusable bag for your reusable umbrella bag maybe?

    Last edited by forgetmenot; 11-05-2013 at 08:15 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Hong Kong
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket
    But why can't people use a reusable umbrella bag...like most do with grocery bags?

    Or come up with some other ideas....seems like a very archaic practice for such a hip city...
    Because it's a "disposable" society. The members of the HK puppet government have their heads so deep inside Peking's butt that they can't think about policies that benefit the city and the world in general in the long run.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    13,505
    Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot
    once you used it, it is wet
    and most likely, it is wet inside and out
    how do you take a wet bag with you all day long?
    another reusable bag for your reusable umbrella bag maybe?
    Dry it out when you get home?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    174

    My umbrella has a collapsible dripless plastic cover ... great invention in my opinion!


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,359

    Someone has started a petition to ban plastic bags. In our disabled government, I won't hold my breath... but hey, at least we can pat ourselves on our back that we tried.

    https://www.supporthk.org/?petition=...a-plastic-bags


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,929

    Can we ban petitions?

    juanalias likes this.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast