Like Tree391Likes

You think you're turning native when...

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GTI:
    When you are absolutely germophobic. It's ironic though cause most of the places you see locals live in are constantly dripping with AC water and reeks of a constant odor.

And is it a local or classy thing that you see locals eating a hamburger or pizza with forks and knives? I honestly have not seen anyone do this in the states.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Agree with your first point, but with respect to your second, we're not in the States!

Another classic Yi Long. I saw that today when a young bloke in a suit went flying on to Kings rd to stop the minibus that was about to pass by. It was bad enough on a quiet street, but it was Kings rd! Nobody was shocked though, the locals have seen it a thousand times before!

Yi-Long likes this.

You used to say Bye
    then started saying B' bye
    but have now moved onto a fully fledged B' baaii

Last edited by East_coast; 18-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

when u or your DH wash your car with a bottle of water, or at most a bucket of water.

I can't leave home without my packet of knock-off tempos and can only buy newspaper pre-packed in a plastic bag with the knock-off tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardan:
    Another classic Yi Long. I saw that today when a young bloke in a suit went flying on to Kings rd to stop the minibus that was about to pass by. It was bad enough on a quiet street, but it was Kings rd! Nobody was shocked though, the locals have seen it a thousand times before!
    Reminds me of last week in Mong Kok, where a middle-aged woman was almost splatted by a cab (Nathan Rd) before my eyes cause she thought it was a green light. Everyone just starts walking through the red light once there is a 3 second gap between cars passing by.

Cab just managed to slow down and beep enough (screeching halt) to let her run/jump out of the way enough. "I thought it was green"

Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot:
    when u or your DH wash your car with a bottle of water, or at most a bucket of water.
    ....usually in-between rain-showers
    Last edited by Yi-Long; 18-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.

...you add "la" or "ma" when you finish your sentences (while speaking english);

...you burp when you finish your lunch and eat your noodles by sucking loudly not giving a f**k about people around you;

...call for the waitress by waiving your hand and screaming "mgooooi";

...if you are competing with other folks for a taxi, you run for the door handle faster than the others;

...you can correctly pronounce at least 3 brands of beers in Cantonese;

...you know the difference between "char siu pao" and "chu pa pao";

...you never tip anybody and quickly collect all the change (coins included);

...you hardly greet people when you go away or say thank you

...you realize when talking to locals you don't speak English but Chinglish ("M T aR Lo" = MTR / "Bigga" = Big / "Yesday" = Yesterday)

and last but not least

...you go nuts for the stupidest reasons in this world

eirrab, MovingIn07, shri and 3 others like this.

Of course, except for the loud burping, all of the above applies to me plus the following:

...when you hand out your credit card or business card with both hands;
    ...when you start threads or write posts on geoexpat complaining about Mainlanders behaviour in HK;
    ...when you randomly greet waitresses and cashiers and friends with an as fast as you can "Kung Hey Fat Choy" at CNY;
    ...when you take it as an offence when they give you forks and spoons in restaurants.

MovingIn07 likes this.

You take offence when your dining partners refuse to share their food with you.

Wearing leggings with everything seems to be your daily fashion option.

Communicating by SMS or Facebook to your spouse / boyfriend / girlfriend only, even if they're sitting directly opposite, or lying in bed beside you.

Posting photos of yourself taken on the street , on random places to be seen as " VIP about town" when the said location may be only just outside your building front door.....

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast