Suspect helper's prego

tex

Suspect helper's prego

Before she actually tells me, I'd like to be prepared to handle the situation. What are the options for me as an employer?

I've heard of helpers going home during pregnancy to have the baby and then return, but don't know what happens to the contract term in this scenario.

I've also heard of helpers who stay through and start seriously slacking off at month 2 of their pregnancy! (By the looks of things-- not mopping floors/doing lifting and having other helper do these sorts of things, and forgetting EVERYTHING!--she's already begun the slacking off process.)

Please tell me your experience and what are some good solutions. I have 2 young kids, a dog, and am about to begin going to university again. Want to have things stable for the kids before Sept and given the secretive vomiting going on around here and her recent trip home, she's probably about 3 months along.

How would you like your employer to handle your being pregnant? Do as you would be done by.

The law on maternity leave is described here.

Last edited by PDLM; 11-04-2008 at 10:10 PM.

the fact is

If you are unhappy with the performance of your DH you have every right to terminate her contract and send her home, it's legal and happens frequently; it's the same the other way around: if a helper is unhappy with her employer/work condition, she can turn in her notice.

You don't need any advice; it's entirely up to you. How long has she worked for you? Do you know her well and usually like her as a person and helper? If so, cut her some slack; if not, say good-bye and get yourself another one who does her job and hopefully won't be pregnant anytime soon.

i think you may find that the rules are a little different if the person in question does in fact turn out to be pregnant. it is not so easy to fire a pregnant woman.

from the labour department:
    Q:Can an employer dismiss a pregnant helper?
    A: No. Except in cases of summary dismissal due to helper's SERIOUS MISCONDUCT, an employer is prohibited from dismissing a pregnant helper from the date that she is confirmed pregnant by a medical certificate....

for the rest of the answer click here (on page 17)
    http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf

from my reading of it.... if she has a certificate you cannot dismiss her. this does not mean that she needs to inform you that she has the certificate... it means that she must possess it. so you could try to dismiss her without knowing that she is pregnant only to be told that you cannot dismiss her because she is in fact pregnant, even though you didn't know at the time that she was indeed preggers.

Last edited by carang; 12-04-2008 at 01:37 AM.

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup
    Quote Originally Posted by tex
    Before she actually tells me, I'd like to be prepared to handle the situation. What are the options for me as an employer?

I've heard of helpers going home during pregnancy to have the baby and then return, but don't know what happens to the contract term in this scenario.

I've also heard of helpers who stay through and start seriously slacking off at month 2 of their pregnancy! (By the looks of things-- not mopping floors/doing lifting and having other helper do these sorts of things, and forgetting EVERYTHING!--she's already begun the slacking off process.)

Please tell me your experience and what are some good solutions. I have 2 young kids, a dog, and am about to begin going to university again. Want to have things stable for the kids before Sept and given the secretive vomiting going on around here and her recent trip home, she's probably about 3 months along.
    Maybe you could ask her about it - if she is pregnant then maybe buy her some flowers and congratulate her and talk about how it's going to affect her work come September, when you start your important university work.