Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast

There's a difference between racism, bigotry and prejudice. Lumping them all together paints the wrong picture of HK.

You've got all three everywhere in the world. I tend to feel HK today has less racism, but more prejudice. Certainly less racism and bigotry than in the 70's and 80's under British rule. When the only self-determination was at the bidding of the Queen's homeland, and the rest of the population was considered the "governed."

In the original article referenced in this thread, it shows "Western" countries being the most tolerant. However, they are also the countries that colonized the rest of the third world, and setup class systems that enslaved or indentured the locals. And in the recent three to four hundred years, these countries also "imported" human beings for servitude.

It always rubs the "rest" of the non-Western world the wrong way when these same "Masters" teach their "Servants" racism lessons today after hundreds of years of exactly doing the opposite.

For example, in HK, a British person telling a local Chinese Hong Kong citizen how they should treat everyone equally and without prejudice, only after their government loses ownership and control of the territory. There's just too much history there. It just smells of hypocrisy.

Unless you've lived in HK throughout the last century, saying HK is a racist nation (just because it is Chinese controlled now) cheapens the struggle for ethnic sovereignty of any formerly colonial territory.

Last edited by Yeahbaby; 04-09-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Just wanted to also add this:

Racism is about intimidation and hatred.

Bigotry is more about stubborn and close mindedness, intolerance.

Prejudice is more about preconceived notions and unfavorable attitudes and opinions.

I see HK having more of the latter, and much less the former two. With prejudice being much more benign.

That's why the racism talk here is making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's nothing compared to real racism and bigotry elsewhere in the world.

jgl and vikulya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    I prefer not to hire certain nationalities.
    I prefer not to work with certain nationalities.
    I prefer not to sit beside certain nationalities on the MTR/bus.
    I prefer certain nationalities not to go to the same shop as me.

Only my preference, not racists at all.

I am curious as to what lifestyle habits such neighbours may have that would affect you?
    Do all SE Asians behave similarly? They include Singaporeans too by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahbaby:

Prejudice is more about preconceived notions and unfavorable attitudes and opinions.

I see HK having more of the latter, and much less the former two. With prejudice being much more benign.

That's why the racism talk here is making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's nothing compared to real racism and bigotry elsewhere in the world.

You can not compare Hong Kong to the rest of the world when it comes to race relations, because is not a multicultural city. Hong Kong is 95% ethnic Chinese and I think another 2 or 3 % is Filipino helpers. All government officials are ethnic Chinese and so are the judges and most law enforcement etc. etc. Hong Kong, by design, wants to remain a Chinese city. They only allow certain other ethnicities in to serve their economic interests.

So it is completely rediculous to compare Hong Kong race relations to other places in the world. Hong Kong is not an integrated society. The vast majority of Hong Kong residents don't deal with race related like in the west.

The biggest form of bigotry and racism lies within Hong Kong's immigration policies and not allowing FDH permanent residency after 7 years..that policy is designed to ensure that Hong Kong remains 95% ethnic Chinese.

Korea and Japan are the same....no obvious racism there...because there is only one race.

But i can assure you, get to know the Koreans, Japanese and the local Hong Kongers...the racist attitudes are shocking..
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    You can not compare Hong Kong to the rest of the world when it comes to race relations, because is not a multicultural city. Hong Kong is 95% ethnic Chinese and I think another 2 or 3 % is Filipino helpers. All government officials are ethnic Chinese and so are the judges and most law enforcement etc. etc. Hong Kong, by design, wants to remain a Chinese city. They only allow certain other ethnicities in to serve their economic interests.

So it is completely rediculous to compare Hong Kong race relations to other places in the world. Hong Kong is not an integrated society. The vast majority of Hong Kong residents don't deal with race related like in the west.

The biggest form of bigotry and racism lies within Hong Kong's immigration policies and not allowing FDH permanent residency after 7 years..that policy is designed to ensure that Hong Kong remains 95% ethnic Chinese.

Korea and Japan are the same....no obvious racism there...because there is only one race.

But i can assure you, get to know the Koreans, Japanese and the local Hong Kongers...the racist attitudes are shocking..
    Why is 95% ethnic Chinese a reason for not comparing? On the one hand, you fault the HK locals for their beliefs. And on the other hand, you put a different standard on the locals because there are not more ethnicities than say the U.S. Or you don't think HK is multi-cultural. That's belittling what being Hong Kongnese is. Remember, this isn't your father's or grandfather's colony any more. This is an independent Chinese Hong Kong.

Should I remind you that historically when 99% of the population was ethnic Chinese, that most if not all the important government positions were in the hands of 0.5% of British ownership? Why would you even consider that 9 out of 10 or more of any government position would not naturally be in the hands of the local population? Why should the local HK people vote say 10% or 20% non-ethnic Chinese to government? What world do you live in where a local population will do that?

Again, you are mistaken as what is racism, bigotry and prejudice. You just use the two worst to describe a very benign Hong Kong society and sensibilities. And such foreign attitudes are definitely not welcomed from the local HK citizens. You are placing your values over what people choose here.

As I said before, there is prejudice, but that is natural.

Racism is when you can't sit down in the front of the bus. Racism is when a gang of guys hang you or beat you up for your color. Racism is when a store refuses to sell you food because of your skin color.

Bigotry is when you are intolerant of other people and beliefs, with hatred and aggressive offensive verbal or psychological abuse of others.

Those two are far from ethnic prejudices of the local HK society. Most HK locals keep to themselves and their own groups with their beliefs and values. They aren't out there beating you up, or throwing around swear words at you or about you to your face.

For you to think it is as horrific or worse than "multi-cultural" nations that have colonized, enslaved and systematically indenture other races and ethnicities... that's a leap away from reality.

Hong Kong welcomes others. It is a very multi-cultural society, and very outwardly tolerant. I have issue with you saying the opposite. And also the way you argue that HK is a closed society.

You are saying because other countries are not open to the world, in your examples Japan and Korea, that they have no racism, bigotry or prejudices. But at the same time, you insist you can't compare HK to other nations with more ethnic mix because that's apples and oranges. So what is HK and Japan? Apples and pears?

Immigration policies for a small island like HK are to prevent the massive influx of Chinese citizens out of China and into HK. HK is a small island area, and cannot support doubling or tripling its population in just a few years. This is a practical aspect of where we live. And yet, even with these immigration policies, HK is a highly sought after destination for life, liberty and economic freedom. It is integrated, it is worldly and it is a port of economy and import/export to the rest of the world.

Just think, you're here right? It's a great place, right?

Quite frankly, I am proud of HK and its society and people. And that includes all ethnicities in HK that choose to live in the best way they can, in peace and harmony. I have pride in HK, all "skin colors," religions and heritages.

It's just tiring to hear complainers and those that are hypocritical in their views of Hong Kong. They apply standards and viewpoints that only lead to their own pre-determined conclusions that Hong Kong is a terrible Chinese society, backward and discriminatory. You make HK out to be some draconian dictatorship of ethnic-Chinese. And just gloss over how good life is in Hong Kong for the majority of its citizens, who are polite, courteous and more often than not, very "classy" people.

Your views are the opposite to the truth. They are self-serving, and nostalgic for the days when the ethnic Chinese didn't rule themselves or had any true self-determination. You want your own world order placed on the local ethnic-Chinese HK citizens. That ship has long set sail. Welcome to the new Hong Kong. And it is a wonderful place.
    Last edited by Yeahbaby; 05-09-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    si0001 and vikulya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    I prefer not to hire certain nationalities.
    I prefer not to work with certain nationalities.
    I prefer not to sit beside certain nationalities on the MTR/bus.
    I prefer certain nationalities not to go to the same shop as me.

Only my preference, not racists at all.

I am curious as to what lifestyle habits such neighbours may have that would affect you?
    You have never been the victim of true racism. Or you wouldn't attribute racism to the list above.

You should be very careful calling other people racists. It's just as offending as being a racist. Even if you are "implying." It also belittles the struggle of those who really had to endure true racism and its impact on their lives, freedom and families.

A preference for who's your drinking buddy should not be a basis for you to determine a whole society and its members are racists.
    vikulya likes this.

Why is 95% ethnic Chinese a reason for not comparing? On the one hand, you fault the HK locals for their beliefs. And on the other hand, you put a different standard on the locals because there are not more ethnicities than say the U.S. Or you don't think HK is multi-cultural. That's belittling what being Hong Kongnese is. Remember, this isn't your father's or grandfather's colony any more. This is an independent Chinese Hong Kong.

Should I remind you that historically when 99% of the population was ethnic Chinese, that most if not all the important government positions were in the hands of 0.5% of British ownership? Why would you even consider that 9 out of 10 or more of any government position would not naturally be in the hands of the local population? Why should the local HK people vote say 10% or 20% non-ethnic Chinese to government? What world do you live in where a local population will do that?

Again, you are mistaken as what is racism, bigotry and prejudice. You just use the two worst to describe a very benign Hong Kong society and sensibilities. And such foreign attitudes are definitely not welcomed from the local HK citizens. You are placing your values over what people choose here.

As I said before, there is prejudice, but that is natural.

Racism is when you can't sit down in the front of the bus. Racism is when a gang of guys hang you or beat you up for your color. Racism is when a store refuses to sell you food because of your skin color.

Bigotry is when you are intolerant of other people and beliefs, with hatred and aggressive offensive verbal or psychological abuse of others.

Those two are far from ethnic prejudices of the local HK society. Most HK locals keep to themselves and their own groups with their beliefs and values. They aren't out there beating you up, or throwing around swear words at you or about you to your face.

For you to think it is as horrific or worse than "multi-cultural" nations that have colonized, enslaved and systematically indenture other races and ethnicities... that's a leap away from reality.

Hong Kong welcomes others. It is a very multi-cultural society, and very outwardly tolerant. I have issue with you saying the opposite. And also the way you argue that HK is a closed society.

You are saying because other countries are not open to the world, in your examples Japan and Korea, that they have no racism, bigotry or prejudices. But at the same time, you insist you can't compare HK to other nations with more ethnic mix because that's apples and oranges. So what is HK and Japan? Apples and pears?

Immigration policies for a small island like HK are to prevent the massive influx of Chinese citizens out of China and into HK. HK is a small island area, and cannot support doubling or tripling its population in just a few years. This is a practical aspect of where we live. And yet, even with these immigration policies, HK is a highly sought after destination for life, liberty and economic freedom. It is integrated, it is worldly and it is a port of economy and import/export to the rest of the world.

Just think, you're here right? It's a great place, right?

Quite frankly, I am proud of HK and its society and people. And that includes all ethnicities in HK that choose to live in the best way they can, in peace and harmony. I have pride in HK, all "skin colors," religions and heritages.

It's just tiring to hear complainers and those that are hypocritical in their views of Hong Kong. They apply standards and viewpoints that only lead to their own pre-determined conclusions that Hong Kong is a terrible Chinese society, backward and discriminatory. You make HK out to be some draconian dictatorship of ethnic-Chinese. And just gloss over how good life is in Hong Kong for the majority of its citizens, who are polite, courteous and more often than not, very "classy" people.

Your views are the opposite to the truth. They are self-serving, and nostalgic for the days when the ethnic Chinese didn't rule themselves or had any true self-determination. You want your own world order placed on the local ethnic-Chinese HK citizens. That ship has long set sail. Welcome to the new Hong Kong. And it is a wonderful place.
    Whoa.. Seems you are a bit defensive. Hong Kong is free to do whatever it wants... and thankfully I was not here during the colonial times, so I'm quite sure I'm not nostalgic to it.

Talking about race relations in Hong Kong is silly. The city is basically all Chinese (95%) and what little diversity there is, is confined to a few seperate areas. You have Kam Tin and Jordan that have a few SE Asians and you have Disco Bay/Sai Kung/mid levels. Even the "international schools" are almost all Chinese. I've lived in entire block towers that were all Chinese.

This is fine, but don't try to compare Hong Kong and race to places like London, New York and other cities that are forced to confront racial issues.

Hong Kong doesn't face or confront these issues...it is a far different situation. It is like comparing apples to watermelons.

Yeahbaby, what's your definition of "true racism"?

Raccon's examples include:
    -not being hired because of your race
    -being passed over for a promotion/project because of your race

Both these actions have a direct and demonstrable harm and are due to prejudging someone by their race by a bigot, so why isn't that racism?

You have never been the victim of true racism. Or you wouldn't attribute racism to the list above.

That's right, bragging about Hong Kongs race relations would be like a man bragging about never being in a car accident (when the guy never drove a car).

It's easy to have a clean driving record when you don't drive.

Yeahbaby your definition of "true racism" is way to narrow. You are talking about extreme violent racism as being the only "true racism". That is simply incorrect.

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast