Like Tree125Likes

Black Rain Storm: Hope you all slept well

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Slept like a dog. Was there rain? Didn't notice anything.

The concept why work stops because of rain is hard to understand. OK, if you work in a garden I can get it....

Last edited by flameproof; 22-05-2013 at 09:28 AM.

And talking about bad weather, seems like brits (and I mean this generically) are a bit more immune to bad weather than most others. I had a meeting with someone down the road a few years ago and I had e-mailed him to check if we were still on - as it was a typhoon 8 signal and was fairly severe with branches and loose tarp / scafolding flying all over the place.

His response was "I see no reason to cancel"... forgetting I'm Asian and allergic to getting wet. Had to wander into work, dodge flying debris and go to the meeting. The guy had a office with possibly 50 cubicles .. and was the only person who had shown up to work.

Just started raining really hard again up in the north district. I thought they might lower the black rain signal by 10:00.....but now I have my doubts.

It is best everyone stay at home if possible, things are pretty dicey up here.

Last edited by closedcasket; 22-05-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    emx likes this.

I'm at work, Had to leg it 100m to a 7 Eleven to buy a new umbrella as i keep leaving mine in random places.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And talking about bad weather, seems like brits (and I mean this generically) are a bit more immune to bad weather than most others. I had a meeting with someone down the road a few years ago and I had e-mailed him to check if we were still on - as it was a typhoon 8 signal and was fairly severe with branches and loose tarp / scafolding flying all over the place.

His response was "I see no reason to cancel"... forgetting I'm Asian and allergic to getting wet. Had to wander into work, dodge flying debris and go to the meeting. The guy had a office with possibly 50 cubicles .. and was the only person who had shown up to work.
    Right...the Brits , Haha, I don't think "immune" is the right word, more like "oblivious" to what's going on around them. Btw, that guy probably don't know that the employer would be liable for any injuries that the employee would suffer due to a signal no. 8, as insurance won't cover them in the event of a signal no. 8. You should have told him that.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 22-05-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And talking about bad weather, seems like brits (and I mean this generically) are a bit more immune to bad weather than most others.
    Very true shri. That's because the weather is so rubbish in the UK that we're used to it. If I was back in London with the equivalent of today's weather, we'd be out on the Thames doing rowing training/cycling/running in the park. It's just rain. Once you're wet, you can't get more wet. I quite enjoy it. And there's no way you'd ever get away with using rain (or a T8) as an excuse for not going to work. I was working in Canary Wharf a few years ago and we had winds over 100 miles/hour. Part of our building (Citi) dropped off. Oops! There was a woman blown over and literally rolling along down the street with a couple of security guys chasing to try and grab her. Life goes on...we're British....we love a bit of bad weather

But if you're the employer / owner (true for both of us in this case) you tend to be a little bit more pragmatic about getting biz done. Life goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Very true shri. That's because the weather is so rubbish in the UK that we're used to it. If I was back in London with the equivalent of today's weather, we'd be out on the Thames doing rowing training/cycling/running in the park. It's just rain. Once you're wet, you can't get more wet. I quite enjoy it. And there's no way you'd ever get away with using rain (or a T8) as an excuse for not going to work. I was working in Canary Wharf a few years ago and we had winds over 100 miles/hour. Part of our building (Citi) dropped off. Oops! There was a woman blown over and literally rolling along down the street with a couple of security guys chasing to try and grab her. Life goes on...we're British....we love a bit of bad weather
    Amen to that.

I also lived in Wellington for years. The winds you get there would be T8 every week if in HK.....!

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Slept like a dog. Was there rain? Didn't notice anything.

The concept why work stops because of rain is hard to understand. OK, if you work in a garden I can get it....
    Because rain in HK isn't the mild little drizzle you get back home. You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy . (Relax, only kidding!)
    Last edited by Watercooler; 22-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    jimbo likes this.

Whilst i agree about the rain, the lightning bolts that were striking Causeway bay yesterday afternoon could have done some real damage to people with a direct hit.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast