Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By imparanoic

what to do after the broadband service contract ended

Closed Thread

what to do after the broadband service contract ended

Our broadband+phone+TV service with HKBN will end soon.
    CS called to suggest us to sign another contract with current promotion rate which is higher than our old rate.
    So if we do not sign the new contract, will the service continue? will the rate go up dramatically?
    Can we renew the service with old rate? Can we negotiate the term since we are not sure if we will stay for 2 more years?

Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot:
    CS called to suggest us to sign another contract with current promotion rate which is higher than our old rate.
    So if we do not sign the new contract, will the service continue? will the rate go up dramatically?
    Well, your provider can answer that question better than we can since we don't know the details of your plan.

In case of my now-TV/Netvigator subscription the broadband service continued with the same pricing but for their crap TV offering they charge each channel based on the monthly pricing, so I canceled a whole lot of them. Still paying about the same but less choice.

Can we renew the service with old rate? Can we negotiate the term since we are not sure if we will stay for 2 more years?
    Of course you can try to negotiate.

However do not commit to a long contract if you don't know if you will stay until the end, unless you are willing to write off the money.

Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot:
    I'm in a similar situation to you, but without the phone service. When I signed a couple of years ago I got a deal where several months were 'free' meaning that the average rate was ok. Now the monthly rate is going up to HK$175 a month which includes some extras that I will never use. The TV channels are pretty rubbish and I never watch them.

So, for now I'll not do anything and see if they give me a better deal. If not I'm prepared to close the account and go to another provider - maybe even PCCW; I'm not going to be leaving in 2 years, so a new 2 year contract is fine for me.

HKBN have come down to HK$160 a month for 100Mbps (although with overseas sites we never get that) plus access to their wifi hotspots-24 month contract. Is that an ok deal?

You mean you do not recommend HKBN?

In what ways is PCCW better? Do you mean a cheaper price? Or faster internet speed for that price? Or better customer service?

Price - I just need the Internet access - no TV or any other added services. Is HK$160 much more compared to other companies?
    Speed - I watch videos and HKBN is ok for that. I mostly visit websites outside Hong Kong.
    Customer service - !

Quote Originally Posted by garycyk:
    ya...pccw is batter
    Billing and customer service is horrid at pccw!!!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

you wanna know my trick, i say to them, that my work contract in HK will expire soon ( ie, 2 months time) and i may be assigned to a different country, thus, no need to sign a new contract, then three months along the way, they realised that i have no contract and call me again, i do the same, i did this for 12months , eventually terminated the contract when i moved to my current apartment

drumbrake and forgetmenot like this.