View Poll Results: Should the HK Government Legalise Cannabis?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 51.43%
  • No

25 35.71%
  • Yes. but with restrictions

11 15.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree178Likes

Cannabis Legalisation

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    IFF smoked with tobacco. There's no reason why it should be, and that's certainly not how I would take it were I do do so.

I'm guessing you're a "two condoms and a jubilee clip just in case, even for a blow job" sort of guy?
    Not at all - they are both optional activities that come with risks and rewards.

The problem with drugs for me is that the risks are unknown because the source is not controlled and regulated. Personally, I understand and accept the risks associated with alcohol and sex in return for the rewards. I would certainly test out the rewards available with certain drugs if I had a supply where I was sure of the quality (and hence of the risks).

I understand and do not accept the risks associated with smoking tobacco because the risks are high and on a few tests it didn't do anything for me.
    There is no best case scenario with drugs, they will cause harm to a certain degree and to a greater degree if consumed regularly. Conversely, in the best case scenario where you have a stable partner you love, sex is a very healthy activity that ensures the continuity of the human race and frequency is not really an issue.

All these comparisons are just sad pathetic excuses to try to justify undesirable behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    New to reading? Your consumption of these substances will not affect the lives of others.
    except for the drain on public services

There is no best case scenario with drugs, they will cause harm to a certain degree and to a greater degree if consumed regularly. Conversely, in the best case scenario where you have a stable partner you love, sex is a very healthy activity that ensures the continuity of the human race and frequency is not really an issue.

All these comparisons are just sad pathetic excuses to try to justify undesirable behaviors.
    To me consensual sex in pretty much any scenario is a good thing. Why does it have to be with a "stable partner you love"? Or are you saying that you believe sex should only be used for the continuation of the human race?

Drugs may cause some harm (as do many foodstuffs, amongst other things) but they also give great pleasure, which is an emotion that, sadly, seems to feature in your life far less than in most. But I guess the secret to happiness is low expectations, so you just carry on...
    LegalizeHK likes this.

It's not that drugs may cause some harm, it's how much they will cause. As I said before, if one needs this to have pleasure in life then it's pitiful. There's plenty of joy and happiness outside of it and millions of people are able to live happy lives without.

It's pathetic losers that project this kind of rationale and bully and pressure other people to try to justify their own weaknesses.

Sex doesn't have to be with a partner you love but it's certainly the best case scenario...Maybe that's why you seek happiness in other places, you're either too jaded or incapable of this kind of emotional bond.

I'm not bullying or pressuring anyone - if I ever had the misfortune to find myself in a confined space with you I'd be running for the door, not trying to persuade you of anything!

No-one's suggesting that alcohol, drugs, casual sex, even caffeine for that matter, are the only ways to get pleasure. We all get pleasure in many different ways. But for me, being retired, financially comfortable (albeit not wealthy by HK standards) and without commitments, it seems to me that seeking pleasure wherever it may be found (without harming others) is pretty much at the top of my list of priorities. I get pleasure from hiking over the hills, from time in the gym, from winning quiz nights, from completing the daily sudoku, from lunching with my friends, from watching games of rugby, and so on. Several of these carry risks, but I believe the benefits outweigh the risks. So why not also drinking wine, smoking a joint, casual (consensual, latex-free) sex, and all the other things you disapprove of?

It's not that drugs may cause some harm, it's how much they will cause. As I said before, if one needs this to have pleasure in life then it's pitiful. There's plenty of joy and happiness outside of it and millions of people are able to live happy lives without.

It's pathetic losers that project this kind of rationale and bully and pressure other people to try to justify their own weaknesses.

Sex doesn't have to be with a partner you love but it's certainly the best case scenario...Maybe that's why you seek happiness in other places, you're either too jaded or incapable of this kind of emotional bond.
    What nonsense. Drugs affect brain chemistry. Name me one activity which you would considerable pleasurable that doesn't effect brain chemistry. Since the start of human existence people have used drugs, sex, love, chocolate, exercise... as a way of getting pleasure because they all effect brain chemistry.

[claire ex-ax]Please learn the difference between "affect" and "effect"![/claire ex-ax]

The difference being that things like exercise, sex and chocolate have much fewer and less dangerous downsides and good benefits. That's why governments regulate drugs tightly and generally ignore the others. That's just plain common sense. But once again those with weaknesses try to justify their lack of will with simplistic comparisons.

I mean who in their right mind would equate taking drugs with going for a run or having sex with your partner. Pretty twisted thinking...

Having sex is a normal part of life and every animal is wired to do it. Taking drugs is a completely unnecessary behavior that millions of people don't need or want...

Last edited by Swannie; 30-05-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Oh dear - I guess you've never done a lot of these things (or done them badly).

And even today most countries in the world have laws banning at least some sexual activities between consenting adults.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 30-05-2013 at 09:39 PM.

The difference being that things like exercise, sex and chocolate have much fewer and less dangerous downsides and good benefits. That's why governments regulate drugs tightly and generally ignore the others. That's just plain common sense. But once again those with weaknesses try to justify their lack of will with simplistic comparisons.

I mean who in their right mind would equate taking drugs with going for a run or having sex with your partner. Pretty twisted thinking...

Having sex is a normal part of life and every animal is wired to do it. Taking drugs is a completely unnecessary behavior that millions of people don't need or want...
    Millions of people take drugs every day without becoming addicted or suffering ill effects.

There are some persuasive arguments against drug use - but saying that it's wrong to get pleasure from drugs but it's fine to get pleasure from sex is not one of them.

SOME governments criminalise SOME drugs at SOME points in history. What is criminal and what is acceptable is a much a matter of politics as it is about the risks. Tobacco and alcohol are just as damaging as soft drugs but are legal. Why do governments ignore those?

The fact that millions of people don't want to take drugs is irrelevant. As far as I can recall, the original question was not 'should HK government make cannabis compulsory'. I have no desire to go bungee jumping, but that doesn't mean I want it banned

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast