View Poll Results: Should the HK Government Legalise Cannabis?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 51.43%
  • No

25 35.71%
  • Yes. but with restrictions

11 15.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree178Likes

Cannabis Legalisation

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    I'd admire my child's teacher or doctor a lot more than a dude who's great contribution to humanity is lining his pockets to run a few hundred metres fast with some flashy shoes and a big mouth. What a great legacy to put on a tombstone: He ran fast... That really changed the world.

Would you like a nice poster of Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohan on your wall? They're great achievers too..Rich and famous. What else is there in life?

Frankly if you can't find a better pot smoker role model than Bolt, it's pretty sad... But that's what pot smokers are...A sad bunch.

yeah, yeah I know they're a lot happier than poor old miserable me who doesn't know how to have fun because of no drinking or taking drugs

Your arrogance is truly shocking....

Usain Bolt has done tremendous work back in Jamaica...he is an inspiration for millions of young kids and has directly impacted thousands through his foundation.....

But I'm sure in your narrow view, he is just some black athlete who runs fast and does drugs...

http://usainbolt.com/foundation/
    LegalizeHK and Koen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Your arrogance is truly shocking....

Usain Bolt has done tremendous work back in Jamaica...he is an inspiration for millions of young kids and has directly impacted thousands through his foundation.....

But I'm sure in your narrow view, he is just some black athlete who runs fast and does drugs...

http://usainbolt.com/foundation/
    I'm sure Swannie is doing more for the world while on her high horse. It's looking more like a donkey than a steed right now though!

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    yeah, yeah I know they're a lot happier than poor old miserable me who doesn't know how to have fun because of no drinking or taking drugs
    Now you're getting it.

How about obama then?

Or lennon?

LegalizeHK likes this.

Or steve jobs.

Or oliver sacks.

Or carl sagan.

Or richard branson.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

LegalizeHK likes this.

a) Virtually all the links you posted are from newspaper articles
    b) There are Olympians and pro athletes who smoke tobacco, drink alcohol and do all kinds of unhealthy things. Does it make those things great?

It's incredibly stupid reasoning to give an example of one person that is able to accomplish something and somehow relating it to pot. Similar idiotic reasoning to claim smoking is fine since you can see a 90 year old guy smoking. Stop embarrassing yourself and at least support some of your nonsense from studies from reputable universities or medical organizations instead of an article in Time or the SCMP.

As to contributions, you're basically acting as a drug pusher and making claims that remind me of chiropractors trumpeting they can cure a cold with manipulations.

Here's another one of these "old" articles from a little unknown place called Harvard:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...a-and-the-mind

The psychiatric risks are well documented, and include addiction, anxiety, and psychosis.

Inhalation is the fastest way to deliver THC to the bloodstream, which is why patients may prefer smoking an herbal preparation. But while this method of drug delivery works fast, smoking marijuana exposes the lungs to multiple chemicals and poses many of the same respiratory health risks as smoking cigarettes.

More psychiatric risk than benefit

Addiction. Observational studies suggest that one in nine people who smokes marijuana regularly becomes dependent on it. Research both in animals and in people provides evidence that marijuana is an addictive substance, especially when used for prolonged periods.

The most commonly reported side effects of smoking marijuana are intense anxiety and panic attacks. Studies report that about 20% to 30% of recreational users experience such problems after smoking marijuana. The people most vulnerable are those who have never used marijuana before.

An Australian study that followed the outcomes of 1,601 students found that those who used marijuana at least once a week at ages 14 or 15 were twice as likely to develop depression seven years later as those who never smoked the substance — even after adjusting for other factors.

An often-cited study of more than 50,000 young Swedish soldiers, for example, found that those who had smoked marijuana at least once were more than twice as likely to develop schizophrenia as those who had not smoked marijuana. The heaviest users (who said they had used the drug more than 50 times) were six times as likely to develop schizophrenia as the nonsmokers.

When compared with controls, people who used medical marijuana were more likely to develop pneumonia and other respiratory problems, and experience vomiting, and diarrhea.

Studies suggest that although overall cognitive ability remains intact, long-term use of marijuana may cause subtle but lasting impairments in executive function.

Even if only half of those were true. What a wonderful thing to be pushing! So you want to tell people to listen to you instead of professionals from Harvard Medical School? Really?

You certainly have a leg to stand on if you argue that legalizing can have benefits in reducing crime and making the drug safer but it's irresponsible and plain stupid to make the kind of claims you make to try to further your goal of legalization.

Another "old" 2012 study published by the National Academy of Science that essentially says that pot users get dumber with use. Now to translate this in something you might understand after years of drug use. Einstein would still be a very bright guy but he would likely be even brighter if he didn't use pot

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...20109.abstract

Persistent cannabis use was associated with neuropsychological decline broadly across domains of functioning, even after controlling for years of education. Informants also reported noticing more cognitive problems for persistent cannabis users.

Oh another goodie on legalization. No doubt parent pot users are very likely to have a clear mind when it comes to being careful with the stuff. That would make a great combination with all the firearms in the US. Another study begging to be made...

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=1691416
    We found a new appearance of unintentional marijuana ingestions by young children after modification of drug enforcement laws for marijuana possession in Colorado. The consequences of unintentional marijuana exposure in children should be part of the ongoing debate on legalizing marijuana.

Another argument that falls by the wayside:

State laws do not regulate marijuana's quality or potency. That means that even if it's legal, you have no idea what you're getting.

LegalizeHK likes this.

Rather than go back and forth with you, pasting links and excerpts from articles that contradict yours, which could go on for months, I'm going to let you believe whatever you want to believe based on what you read. There is an ever increasing body of research on cannabis and its effects. I do, however, suggest you look at both sides of the coin.

http://norml.org/news

The articles I've linked to for the most part indicate the studies and institutions responsible for the conclusions each individual body has drawn; if you don't want to use any substances, so be it, but I think individuals should be free to make their own choices based on their own individual research. We should be allowed to be democratic with our own lives, as long as we aren't harming anyone else. I think substance use can be part and parcel of a holistic lifestyle, as it always has been and always will be for a substantial portion of individuals on this planet.

As for accidental ingestion by children, I think the reason reports have gone up is because of legality. Otherwise parents and guardians would just treat the issues at home rather than going to the ER for fear of arrest. When I was a kid, I used to steal alcohol and tobacco from my dad. At least the pot won't kill the kids, even if it does make them supremely uncomfortable.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast