View Poll Results: Should the HK Government Legalise Cannabis?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 51.43%
  • No

25 35.71%
  • Yes. but with restrictions

11 15.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree178Likes

Cannabis Legalisation

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

As I said, you want to argue for legalization, that's fine but it is irresponsible to downplay the risks associated with drug use whether it's alcohol, tobacco or cannabis. For every link you post that suggests no harm, I will post three to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    How interesting that someone accused me of using old data. Since 1995 the same Lancet conducted another study. Here are the results. Perhaps you can put those in your bong and smoke them

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/0707...070723-11.html
    The finding, which comes from a new study that combines results from 35 previous surveys, represents a significant U-turn from previous suggestions that cannabis is harmless to mental health. The analysis is published in medical journal The Lancet, which in 1995 began one of its issues with the sentence: "The smoking of cannabis, even long term, is not harmful to health."1

In fact, having used the drug even once increases your risk of developing psychotic problems by 41%, according to the new research2. This suggests that 14% of all psychotic illness in Britain is caused by cannabis use.

So you are saying (believing) that smoking one joint increases your risk of psychotic problems by 41%??? Stop and think about how crazy you sound......

As I said, you want to argue for legalization, that's fine but it is irresponsible to downplay the risks associated with drug use whether it's alcohol, tobacco or cannabis. For every link you post that suggests no harm, I will post three to the contrary.
    So if there is no consensus....than why is it illegal? You seem to be advocating for cannabis to remain illegal based off inconclusive evidence. That seems very heavy handed and controlling....

I'm not saying anything...these are the results posted from the same Lancet journal you quoted. When they say something you want to hear, they're ok but otherwise they're crazy? I think it's wayyyy crazier to say that pot does no harm and it seems most medical professionals agree. Let's see Harvard Medical School or two drug bozos on an internet forum... Tough choice!

The only place there is no consensus is in your mind... You might as well say there's no consensus on the fact that tobacco is harmful. Let's use your reasoning...It's been used for thousands of years by millions of users around the world and I can find a couple of studies that downplay the harm and I see 90 year old smokers so how bad can it be really. That's the essence of your argumentation...

As to the illegality, you really seem to have some mental problems perhaps related to your pot smoking. Find one place where I said it should remain illegal... I despise the stuff and I find irresponsible that some of you try to downplay the risks however I recognize that some form of decriminalization has benefits. What I said is that I won't lift one finger or shed one tear if it doesn't come to pass since it has absolutely no bearing on my life. One of the reasons I like HK, I never have to see it or smell it...

Last edited by Swannie; 05-06-2013 at 10:28 AM.

I'm not saying anything...these are the results posted from the same Lancet journal you quoted. If you want to call them crazy then go ahead.

As to the illegality, you really seem to have some mental problems perhaps related to your pot smoking. Find one place where I said it should remain illegal... I despise the stuff and I find irresponsible that some of you try to downplay the risks however I recognize that some form of decriminalization has benefits. What I said is that I won't lift one finger or shed one tear if it doesn't come to pass since it has absolutely no bearing on my life. One of the reasons I like HK, I never have to see it or smell it...
    What form of decriminalization has benefits? Judging by your posts in this thread, I find it very hard to believe that you would support any type of decriminalization.

As I said, I wrote it many times but since your mental capacity seem compromised, I can't do much about it really.

My hate for the stuff is visceral however I am capable of looking at it from a rational point and seeing some advantages to decriminalization. Since you seem to have the attention span of a gnat, I'll point it out again. I think that alcohol, tobacco, coffee, junk food, pot and a whole bunch of other things are harmful. Banning is not a realistic solution since it often drives things underground and allows criminals to thrive around it and it means that people have no idea about the crap they are getting. Looking at tobacco, it still doesn't give any guarantees but one can only hope.

Most people have little discipline and self control so it makes sense to try to manage it as opposed to sticking your head in the sand. The responsible thing to do is to not be ambiguous and clearly show the risks and do everything possible to discourage the use and not make it cool like the current trend with tobacco. Unsurprisingly, I'm extremely opposed to the cafe lifestyle in Amsterdam however decriminalizing possession of a small amount and allowing for some form of "medicinal use" in the privacy of ones' home is not unreasonable though it does carry some downsides.

As I said, as far as issues goes, you certainly wouldn't see me campaigning for it, give money or support it in any way but if it happens then so be it. I'll certainly oppose those irresponsible enough that try to make it seem harmless to try to further their cause. That is my biggest issue here...

You should totally chill and twist one up, Swannie. I think it's admirable that you're so anti-substance, but can still see the benefits of decriminalization. Let's keep this thread clean.

No activity or substance on this planet is without some form of drawback if you overdo it, so moderation is key no matter what you do. Drinking too much water can kill you, and even too much exercise has devastating effects on the body. Similarly, abusing cannabis to excess will have negative effects on the body and mind. Getting too high can be uncomfortable until you sleep it off, but it won't make you violently sick like alcohol would.

In my opinion, cannabis is often abused to excess, like alcohol, especially in western society. That part of the culture needs to change, but it probably won't.

Here's an interesting blog post (with links to the corresponding articles from medical journals) on recent research on the metabolic effects of cannabis and reduced mortality among the mentally ill who use it with their prescription medication.

Wait until the local women find out cannabis allows them to eat more and stay slim.

http://neurocritic.blogspot.hk/2013/...-negative.html

Another interesting article for your reading pleasure:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23672820

"Patients with a history of Cannabis use had less brain abnormalities, characterized by gray matter and lateral ventricle volume preservation, as well as less attentional and executive impairments compared to patients without a history of Cannabis use. Cannabis-using patients who develop psychosis have less neurodevelopmental impairment and better cognitive reserve than other psychotic patients; perhaps reflecting different etiological processes."

So it seems cannabis actually has a positive effect on individuals with psychosis. The causative link between cannabis use and psychosis is impossible to prove at this point; I think you would find those who are susceptible to mental illness just use more substances (legal or illegal) in general. Alcohol is very popular among those with anxiety disorders, for example, since it lowers inhibitions.

The effects of cannabis on social exclusion and the associated pain that comes with it:

http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early...88949.abstract

And an overview for your reading pleasure:

http://www.psypost.org/2013/05/marij...xclusion-17936

Last edited by LegalizeHK; 05-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Has anyone mentioned Bob Marley yet?

LegalizeHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Has anyone mentioned Bob Marley yet?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QC_ZMWTxJU

If you have 5 minutes, listen to this monologue by Bill Maher....sums things up very nicely, I couldn't agree more. Cannibis is the next gay marriage as far as social issues for American to evolve into. In the US, one generation ago (1988), only 10% of Americans approved of gay marriage....now it is over 60% and gay marriage barriers are falling all over the country. People stopped believing the scare tactic stories from right wing america (and people like Swannie) and used common sense to address the issue...the same will continue to happen with cannibis...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3371981.html

virago, LegalizeHK and Cwbguy like this.

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast