Like Tree34Likes

Hong Kong is so much safer!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerboy:
    I know enough young people, the friends of my kid and the tales my friends (who are teachers) tell me are just some examples.

Worship korean culture? Kids these days worship anything they think is "cool & hip" without ever stopping to think whether it is right. Where did this youth culture came from? The West. I see young people every day lost in their make-belief world of ipod and samsung galaxy, losing their public manners and not even knowing how to communicate properly with their elders. This loss of social skills will have strong negative effect on Hong Kong. These kids need to spend less time burying their heads in their ipods and spend more time re-learning how to talk like a proper human being.

As for the other poster on Chinese education. I'm not saying it is perfect. But there are virtues of Chinese education and social order that you Westerners fail to realize. Respecting the elders. Following the rules. And what is so wrong with that?
    Who runs the courts, educates the children, buys the iPods? Not westerners... As a matter of fact, kids/people here are often worse when it comes to consumerism than in the West. Perhaps, the Chinese are the ones poorly influencing the West? Many kids in the West need jobs and have to look after themselves. In HK many kids have a maid to wipe their ass and their nose and most men would have trouble finding the right end of a mop. Is that part of the virtues of Chinese education?

You also do realize that the Chinese have often been referred to as the Jews of Asia because of their attachment and ability to make money.

Asians and Chinese in particular are also famous for their enjoyment of gambling. You blame that on westerners too or is that part of the chinese education?

If the maid takes $15 dollars and you call the police you should never be allowed a maid again, because you're thick! Was there really no other satisfactory way of dealing with it! Really, get a life and deal with it yourself, surely a warning would suffice.

'Letter of the law' would be OK if the law was applied equally in this town, but it isn't. See far too many rich and powerful avoiding the police attention that Mrs Maid or Mr Waffleseller get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    If the maid takes $15 dollars and you call the police you should never be allowed a maid again, because you're thick! Was there really no other satisfactory way of dealing with it! Really, get a life and deal with it yourself, surely a warning would suffice.

'Letter of the law' would be OK if the law was applied equally in this town, but it isn't. See far too many rich and powerful avoiding the police attention that Mrs Maid or Mr Waffleseller get.
    Exactly! This only highlights why people who can barely survive on their own income, should not be allowed to have maids. 15k minimum to employ a helper? That is a joke, and leads to abuses. The number should be twice that (30k) or more..... but of course than everyone couldn't join on on the fun and exploitation..

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    Who runs the courts, educates the children, buys the iPods? Not westerners... As a matter of fact, kids/people here are often worse when it comes to consumerism than in the West. Perhaps, the Chinese are the ones poorly influencing the West? Many kids in the West need jobs and have to look after themselves. In HK many kids have a maid to wipe their ass and their nose and most men would have trouble finding the right end of a mop. Is that part of the virtues of Chinese education?

You also do realize that the Chinese have often been referred to as the Jews of Asia because of their attachment and ability to make money.

Asians and Chinese in particular are also famous for their enjoyment of gambling. You blame that on westerners too or is that part of the chinese education?

Well said.

Traditional Hong Kong society stressed harmony and resolution of social conflicts by personal arbitration. Seldom will you get a court case over trivial matters. But not so now. Every minute disagreement must be drag into the courts. You say Westerners are not to blame. But we never had this nonsense before. The seeping of suing culture into Hong Kong must have come from somewhere. And it certainly did'nt came from the mainland.
    When exactly was this traditional hk culture? When you were younger? Things were better when you were young? Young people were polite and respectful to their elders. Thought for themselves? Tell me, was this while HK was still a british colony or since its return to china?

And since you don't seem to understand the difference, in neither of these cases is anyone being sued. Both cases relate to people being publically prosecuted (or not) for theft.
    Last edited by usehername; 31-05-2013 at 07:16 PM.

If the maid takes $15 dollars and you call the police you should never be allowed a maid again, because you're thick!
    What 'pot calling the kettle black' means.

I know enough young people, the friends of my kid and the tales my friends (who are teachers) tell me are just some examples.

Worship korean culture? Kids these days worship anything they think is "cool & hip" without ever stopping to think whether it is right. Where did this youth culture came from? The West. I see young people every day lost in their make-belief world of ipod and samsung galaxy, losing their public manners and not even knowing how to communicate properly with their elders. This loss of social skills will have strong negative effect on Hong Kong. These kids need to spend less time burying their heads in their ipods and spend more time re-learning how to talk like a proper human being.

As for the other poster on Chinese education. I'm not saying it is perfect. But there are virtues of Chinese education and social order that you Westerners fail to realize. Respecting the elders. Following the rules. And what is so wrong with that?

So in summary,

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    What, exactly are we arguing about here?

I agree with INXS, all theft is theft. Not sure anyone really objects to that.

It's what happens next that's at issue. Surely there is a system in HK that deals with "small matters"? Abit like the split between the Magistrate Court and the High Court in the UK? Surely the police have the discretion to caution rather than send cases to court? Is there no way to just admit guilt and pay a fine here? You have to ask yourself WHY this DH actually ended up in court.
    Only police discretion for juveniles in Hong Kong.

However the prosecution has two tests for all prosecutions the second of which if the offense is in the public interest to prosecute.

To the poster who notes the maid admitted the crime - that typically in most places is viewed as a positive and often deters an over zealous prosecutor from going forward. Remorse is usually a factor at sentencing as well as damage to reputation.

As note, the loss of the person's job meaning she'd have to leave HK should be more than enough here.

There is a deterrent factor in prosecuting but this is for such a small amount why not mediate it and not be a dipshit and press charges.
    Last edited by Football16; 31-05-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9