Like Tree30Likes

only 2 cans of baby formula per day allowed in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    True, if you have to work and there is nowhere to pump, you won't be able to maintain your supply. However, hk women have at least 8 weeks of maternity leave in which they could breastfeed. The sad thing is the majority don't even try. When I was in hospital the vast majority just went straight to formula. I bet most don't even understand the difference.
    Totally not true. A lot of the public hospitals are encouraging mothers to breastfeed their newborn. Within 2 hours after giving birth a nurse will hand you your newborn and you are taught how to breastfeed the baby. If you can read Chinese, go to this website, there are a lot of breastfeeding mothers there discussing all kind things related to breastfeeding (http://www.baby-kingdom.com/forum.ph...display&fid=35).

Quote Originally Posted by ufo20022008:
    Totally not true. A lot of the public hospitals are encouraging mothers to breastfeed their newborn. Within 2 hours after giving birth a nurse will hand you your newborn and you are taught how to breastfeed the baby. If you can read Chinese, go to this website, there are a lot of breastfeeding mothers there discussing all kind things related to breastfeeding (http://www.baby-kingdom.com/forum.ph...display&fid=35).
    Not true at all

I gave birth in a public hospital in hk 4 months ago. I know what the hospitals claim they do. I also know what I saw. Only one women in the 2 wards I stayed in (totally 9 new mums) breastfed apart from me. I wasn't given any support to feed until 12 hours after the birth and that was only because I asked for help. When the nurses discovered I still wanted to breastfeed the next day, they were amazed (delighted, but surprised).

Everytime I go to the mchc there is rarely more than 1 other women in the breast feeding room - but plenty with bottles.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by garycyk:
    or why dont you think of asking the Mainland mother to breast feed
    What's that got to do with anything? Seriously gary, you're obsessed. It's weird.

Based on the comments on this thread that hasn't actually caused a supply problem though, has it.

Not true at all

I gave birth in a public hospital in hk 4 months ago. I know what the hospitals claim they do. I also know what I saw. Only one women in the 2 wards I stayed in (totally 9 new mums) breastfed apart from me. I wasn't given any support to feed until 12 hours after the birth and that was only because I asked for help. When the nurses discovered I still wanted to breastfeed the next day, they were amazed (delighted, but surprised).

Everytime I go to the mchc there is rarely more than 1 other women in the breast feeding room - but plenty with bottles.
    Sorry to hear about your experience, which hospital did you give birth?

I gave birth at the Eastern just recently (2 weeks ago!) and the nurses there were very extremely supportive about new mothers wanting to breastfeed. My baby was next to me all the time and I was shown how to breastfeed, change the nappies etc.

But anyway there are HK mothers who breastfeed and the website I posted before has a lot of information and support for breastfeeding mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by ufo20022008:
    Sorry to hear about your experience, which hospital did you give birth?

I gave birth at the Eastern just recently (2 weeks ago!) and the nurses there were very extremely supportive about new mothers wanting to breastfeed. My baby was next to me all the time and I was shown how to breastfeed, change the nappies etc.

But anyway there are HK mothers who breastfeed and the website I posted before has a lot of information and support for breastfeeding mothers.
    Uch.

I know there are women that do breastfeed here and I think it's great that they do, it's just a shame the hospitals (or at least uch and the private ones) don't encourage it more. I'm sure far more women would choose breast feeding if there was better education about the differences, and perhaps some restrictions on the kind of claims the milk powder companies were allowed to insinuate.

perhaps some restrictions on the kind of claims the milk powder companies were allowed to insinuate.
    Has the government not recently decreed this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Has the government not recently decreed this?
    I believe something like that is happening, though I've not seen any specific details yet.

I am with Brit on this one, we were at Matilda and they were extremely helpful and encouraging to my wife. We've had numerous friends who delivered there, Adventist and Canossa who also had very positive experiences. In fact recently our friends who delivered in Queen Mary (their 2nd or 3rd kid) have mentioned how much the local attitudes to breastfeeding has been changing in recent years and how much more encouraging public hospitals are these days...

Having said that, my wife breast fed exclusively for 6 months, but her supply went away and we had to switch to formula at that time to supplement early solid foods. We've had our share of times over the past 18 months where all the supply (for a certain brand....only one our kid would drink actually) would disappear from nearly every Island store. Having said that I think it's more the issue with the distributor's incompetence and poor purchasing management by stores rather than mainlanders.

Ok, I don't have personal experience of the private ones, just friends have complained about not being allowed to have their baby with them overnight which made it difficult to feed and a general expectation that they would be bottle feeding.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast