Like Tree35Likes

Are there more Indonesian helpers being hired than Filipino helpers nowadays?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Are there more Indonesian helpers being hired than Filipino helpers nowadays?

Almost all of my relatives and friends have Indonesian helpers now instead of Filipino helpers. One of the reasons they said is that Indonesian helpers are more "obedient" (that's the words of this person not mine) Also given the thorny relationships between Philippines and China/HK/Taiwan now. I could imagine there is a surge in numbers of Indonesian helpers over Filipino ones?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

From my recollection it began because Indonesian helpers were cheaper, i.e. they didn't assert their full and proper rights under the law. Selfish bastard cheap employers would only pay them $2000 per month. I asked about it back in the 90s because I was denied the information, presumably because I had reported selfish bastard cheap employers to the authorities, one of whom spent 18 months in a prison cell not of her choice.

And before CC chimes in, I am not against imported labour when employers abide by the law. These selfish bastard cheap employers were not abiding by the law.

Jhalm'z and Tom007 like this.

A few of the things I've heard.

1. The Filipino helpers are quite knowledged with the laws and requirements so they know their rights and makes it harder for the employers to ask for more than what is required of them.

2. Indonesian helpers are faster at picking up Cantonese where as Filipino helpers who most are quite educated have a harder time picking up Cantonese.

3. Some Indonesian helpers are willing to get paid less than the minimum monthly wage.

I've also noticed that in our village, more and more Indonesian helpers.

Yes, Indonesians pick up Canto quick and I know one helper that can understand Mandarin quite well having spent about two weeks in China!

Also I think legally the Indonesian helper has more visa 'issues' and are more compliant to accept a job and not cause trouble to employers. Could be totally wrong and I am sure someone can outline the visa requirements for both nationalities.

Edit: Also on a side note most Indonesians I've ever asked about their employer is they don't like Chinese and the way they are treated by their employer. Just saying......

Last edited by virago; 03-06-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    A few of the things I've heard.

1. The Filipino helpers are quite knowledged with the laws and requirements so they know their rights and makes it harder for the employers to ask for more than what is required of them.

2. Indonesian helpers are faster at picking up Cantonese where as Filipino helpers who most are quite educated have a harder time picking up Cantonese.

3. Some Indonesian helpers are willing to get paid less than the minimum monthly wage.

I've also noticed that in our village, more and more Indonesian helpers.
    Well according to what you've said why would anyone still want to hire helpers from the Philippines then? One thing I've heard people said is that Filipino helpers have better English skills and that will benefit for the child learning English. Also, many Indonesian helpers don't know how to do housework and cook at all when they first come here; they need to be trained by the employers extensively. While the Filipino helpers are generally more adequately trained.
    Last edited by YCC; 03-06-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Jhalm'z likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    From my recollection it began because Indonesian helpers were cheaper, i.e. they didn't assert their full and proper rights under the law. Selfish bastard cheap employers would only pay them $2000 per month. I asked about it back in the 90s because I was denied the information, presumably because I had reported selfish bastard cheap employers to the authorities, one of whom spent 18 months in a prison cell not of her choice.

And before CC chimes in, I am not against imported labour when employers abide by the law. These selfish bastard cheap employers were not abiding by the law.
    What have you report that has landed someone 18 months in jail??
    Last edited by YCC; 03-06-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YCC:
    Well according to what you said why would anyone still want to helpers from the Philippines then?
    How the HELL should I know, I'm just telling you what I heard. Oh by the way I dont have a helper, we do everything ourselves but come end of this year, I might have to start looking into getting one to help with the upcoming kid.

I would probably get an Indian helper, make me some lovely curries
    Skyhook, audiot and Jhalm'z like this.

Something occurred to me while reading this thread... why aren't there more HK-Chinese helpers? That's how it used to be and I'm thinking if I lived in a caged-home I wouldn't mind being a live-in helper for someone who lives in the peak, for example. A labor force of 170k, there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    Something occurred to me while reading this thread... why aren't there more HK-Chinese helpers? That's how it used to be and I'm thinking if I lived in a caged-home I wouldn't mind being a live-in helper for someone who lives in the peak, for example. A labor force of 170k, there ya go.
    Govt doesn't need to spend on childcare services to have high work participation so they allow the import cheap labour and allow HK'ers to pay for it. Much cheaper I would say.

Difference is $30 an hour for HK'er compared to roughly $10 an hour for a foreigner helper. If 10 hours a day at average of 24 days a month is $7200 compared to $3920 for an FDH (notwithstanding the $3000 they get for return home ticket).

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    Well, first I'd assumed that most people who live in "cage homes" here are men. Secondly a live-in helper basically need to live with the host family and spend almost all the time with them except for that one day holiday. Also it's actually a tough job and I don't think many HK people are willing to do that even for those live in cage homes. Finally and most importantly there are minimum wages in HK now for HK residents but the law excludes the wages that is being paid to foreign domestic helpers.
    Last edited by YCC; 03-06-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast