Like Tree468Likes

Typhoon Season 2013

Closed Thread
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    People in HK, expat and locals alike, complain too much over the slightest inconsequential thing, it would'nt hurt if some of them eat some humble pie every now and then.
    It's not about humble, it's about entitlement. People feel they are entitled to so many things, like the entitlement of insulting other people on the interwebz.

Frankly many of those entitled things are earned.

Quote Originally Posted by richteralan:
    Is there any T10 typhoons in the past two decades caused that much damage? It's a genuine question.
    Your genuine answer starts here : http://www.hko.gov.hk/informtc/histo...c/histtype.htm
    Which will then lead to here:
    http://www.hko.gov.hk/informtc/histo...10_reporte.htm

Note : the reports generally only discuss the issues in Hong Kong and for the most part do not take into account the devestation suffered in PPines (on its way here) and China (once it passes over Hong Kong).
    Natfixit and dipstick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Your genuine answer starts here : http://www.hko.gov.hk/informtc/histo...c/histtype.htm
    Which will then lead to here:
    http://www.hko.gov.hk/informtc/histo...10_reporte.htm

Note : the reports generally only discuss the issues in Hong Kong and for the most part do not take into account the devestation suffered in PPines (on its way here) and China (once it passes over Hong Kong).
    Thank you for the links.

However, the two links you provided only states the technical specifics of hoisting the T10 signal. My genuine question was about damages caused by typhoons.

By reading through those two links, It appears to me that none of those typhoons did a fraction of damage compared to the 2011 Joplin tornado, thus proving my point that comparing tornadoes to T10 is really comparing apple to oranges.
    Last edited by richteralan; 23-07-2013 at 06:39 PM.

People do fear T10 typhoons, including me. And your analogy is really comparing apples to oranges. As someone already said, T10 is extremely rare, plus those T10 storms in the past never did the same damage as tornadoes in the US. Let's see, the 2011 Joplin tornado killed 150 people, injured 1000, caused damages more than $2 billion.

Is there any T10 typhoons in the past two decades caused that much damage?

It's a genuine question.
    During the T10 last year I was outdoors filming nature's power. Nice experience. Hoping for such a chance again this year.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Last edited by Azuremain; 23-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.

It's not about humble, it's about entitlement. People feel they are entitled to so many things, like the entitlement of insulting other people on the interwebz.

Frankly many of those entitled things are earned.
    Yeah, it's true folks in HK have developed a certain entitlement mentality, and a certain dis-respect for other people in general. Not a healthy social trend if you asked me, people have become spoiled by the efficiency of HK. I mean, if the MTR is late by 1 minute, it's front-page news and those commuters will be screaming for the resignation of the MTR management, little do they realize what sort of public transport other less well-off cities are like.

But I stand by my point about people in HK needing humbleness, because that requires a certain degree of empathy for the plight of other people, something that increasingly no. of HK people lack the ability to appreciate.
    Titus likes this.

Thank you for the links.

However, the two links you provided only states the technical specifics of hoisting the T10 signal. My genuine question was about damages caused by typhoons.

By reading through those two links, It appears to me that none of those typhoons did a fraction of damage compared to the 2011 Joplin tornado, thus proving my point that comparing tornadoes to T10 is really comparing apple to oranges.
    So what exactly are you trying to say about T10?

Yeah, it's true folks in HK have developed a certain entitlement mentality, and a certain dis-respect for other people in general. Not a healthy social trend if you asked me, people have become spoiled by the efficiency of HK. I mean, if the MTR is late by 1 minute, it's front-page news and those commuters will be screaming for the resignation of the MTR management, little do they realize what sort of public transport other less well-off cities are like.

But I stand by my point about people in HK needing humbleness, because that requires a certain degree of empathy for the plight of other people, something that increasingly no. of HK people lack the ability to appreciate.
    Humbleness, too. I do agree with you.
    Titus likes this.

So what exactly are you trying to say about T10?
    Wasn't trying to say anything. Just said "Still waiting for a T10" and got bombarded by another guy said I'm a fool.
    Then some another guy comparing T10 to tornadoes in the US. Then I was trying to find some damage caused by T10, then got some people linked me to the HK Observatory website.

At this point, I actually don't really know. Maybe you can tell me about that.
    INXS likes this.

Like I said, those reports only cover Hong Kong and do not report on China and PPines.

If you want to do a bit of homework, you can find *many* typhoons that put Joplin to shame. Here is one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Bopha there are many more...

Wikipedia has extensive reports year by year like this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Pa...typhoon_season
    Which will detail all sorts of death and damage for those who are curious.

Anyway, whats the point of this "my typhoon is bigger than your typhoon"?
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 23-07-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Like I said, those reports only cover Hong Kong and do not report on China and PPines.

If you want to do a bit of homework, you can find *many* typhoons that put Joplin to shame. Here is one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Bopha there are many more...

Wikipedia has extensive reports year by year like this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Pa...typhoon_season
    Which will detail all sorts of death and damage for those who are curious.

Anyway, whats the point of this "my typhoon is bigger than your typhoon"?
    Of course I do realize *many* typhoons put Joplin to shame, if you count South Asia countries. What I meant was specific to the damage done in Hong Kong, I should've worded my question better.

And, nobody here is arguing which one is bigger. At least not me. I already stated it's comparing apple to oranges. The question of comparison is Hong Kong specific and not a kids which-one-is-bigger argument.

But thank you for the links.

Closed Thread
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast