Like Tree468Likes

Typhoon Season 2013

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    We did that years ago.
    ok.....congratulations?

Looks very disorganised this morning but many, including HKO (In their usual half assed way) are predicting a TC by Monday/Tuesday...There is a strong ridge of high pressure that would tend to push it south if it develops....anyway, let's have another look this evening.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Looks very disorganised this morning but many, including HKO (In their usual half assed way) are predicting a TC by Monday/Tuesday...There is a strong ridge of high pressure that would tend to push it south if it develops....anyway, let's have another look this evening.

How accurate is this forecast model though? What do those rather strange fellas on weather underground hk forum say? Let's have a look .

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:

Great..that's just ....great. I'm off to China on Tuesday. ......
    Last edited by Natfixit; 28-07-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Hate so called spell check

My husband and I have been observing the tides along the south Lantau beaches lately. Much more turbulent wave activity despite sunny weather and calm breeze with more rips and undertows, high tides ebbing later in the day.....anyone here an expert on this on forum? Lived here a year now, and the calm seems to have become unsettled.

Here the weather forecast as issued at 12 o'clock Greenwich Meaning Time by the Ugandan Metrological Office.

They been up on the Air Ministry Roof and it pissing down with rain.

That the end of the weather forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    My husband and I have been observing the tides along the south Lantau beaches lately. Much more turbulent wave activity despite sunny weather and calm breeze with more rips and undertows, high tides ebbing later in the day.....anyone here an expert on this on forum? Lived here a year now, and the calm seems to have become unsettled.
    uh oh, it's the Kraken.

91W is 750 kilometres South East of us now. HKO might name it this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Great..that's just ....great. I'm off to China on Tuesday. ......
    It's coming back on Thursday/Friday that might be interesting! You're not going for a three day break on Hainan are you?

Quote Originally Posted by richteralan:
    People do fear T10 typhoons, including me. And your analogy is really comparing apples to oranges. As someone already said, T10 is extremely rare, plus those T10 storms in the past never did the same damage as tornadoes in the US. Let's see, the 2011 Joplin tornado killed 150 people, injured 1000, caused damages more than $2 billion.

Is there any T10 typhoons in the past two decades caused that much damage?

It's a genuine question.
    As someone who has lived in tornado alley, and in Hong Kong there is no comparing a tornado to a typhoon. A tornado is way more powerful and scary. Tornados can throw cars and completely level houses.

As long as you seek decent shelter in a typhoon you are ok. Windows rarely even get blown out.

Even Hurricanes are much worse than typhoons.

Most Americans I know, who experience their first big typhoon in Hong Kong say the same thing afterwards... "That's it?". That's just because tornados and hurricanes are much more powerful and devastating.
    Azuremain likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast