Like Tree468Likes

Typhoon Season 2013

Page 24 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by elliee:
    I thought we were talking about storms affecting HK vs. storms affecting the US - tropical cyclones (hurricanes) that hit the Atlantic coast are worse in terms of wind speed/ intensity on average than tropical cyclones (typhoons) that hit HK.
    That is what we were talking about...

Point being hurricanes in the US are more serious than HK typhoons...

Maybe typhoons pack more of a punch when they are out at sea, but the wind intensity usually is relatively mild by the time the storm hits HK?

Either way, one scares me ALOT more than the other
    Last edited by closedcasket; 31-07-2013 at 11:48 AM.

I thought we were talking about storms affecting HK vs. storms affecting the US - tropical cyclones (hurricanes) that hit the Atlantic coast are worse in terms of wind speed/ intensity on average than tropical cyclones (typhoons) that hit HK.
    That's a bit like saying hurricanes which hit Miami are not as strong as hurricanes which hit Florida. One is a small geographic area and thus gets hit by parts of a storm but, rarely, a "direct hit" whereas if you measure across the whole STATE of course SOMEWHERE it's bad.
    carang likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Is that why they don't bother to build hurricane-proof buildings in the US?

My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Anyway, it's not quite right to compare the thousand of miles of the US Atlantic coast vs HK, which is only a tiny dot in comparison. So the comparison might not be so meaningful regardless of whether hurricane or typhoon is more intense in HK vs the entirety of the US Atlantic coast. It's probably better to compare the whole of the Chinese coast vs the whole of the Atlantic seaboard.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 31-07-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    elliee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Is that why they don't bother to build hurricane-proof buildings in the US?
    Certain buildings are, particularly newer buildings and highrises. Others are not for a number of reasons - age of building, cost, huge variety of types of structures. There are some things you just can't hurricane proof, like a double wide and only so much you can do with a wood and plaster single family home, hence the need for evacuations in the off chance that a hurricane hits the section of land you live on.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    That's a bit like saying hurricanes which hit Miami are not as strong as hurricanes which hit Florida. One is a small geographic area and thus gets hit by parts of a storm but, rarely, a "direct hit" whereas if you measure across the whole STATE of course SOMEWHERE it's bad.
    No, its not. I have not seen any evidence of any storm with wind speeds similar to a category 3, 4 or 5 hurrican hitting any area in or around HK. The point is that the storms that hit HK and surrounding areas are not as strong as the storms that hit the Atlantic coast. If there were a direct or close to direct 'hit' from a storm with wind speeds of a cat 3-5 hurricane, HK would be screwed. It hasn't happened yet, so, Atlantic storms are worse.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Can we just settle this in agreement: "everything in the US is worst"?

virago and INXS like this.

No, its not. I have not seen any evidence of any storm with wind speeds similar to a category 3, 4 or 5 hurrican hitting any area in or around HK. The point is that the storms that hit HK and surrounding areas are not as strong as the storms that hit the Atlantic coast. If there were a direct or close to direct 'hit' from a storm with wind speeds of a cat 3-5 hurricane, HK would be screwed. It hasn't happened yet, so, Atlantic storms are worse.
    Taiwan gets often hit by typhoons equal to a Category 3 or 4 hurricane.

Typhone Herb that struck parts of Japan, Taiwan and the PRC was a Cat 5 and killed a lot of people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Herb
    It weakened to a Cat 4 when hitting Taiwan and a Cat 2 when hitting the PRC, so most casualties were probably caused by flooding rather than wind speeds.

And then there was Typhone Tip, the largest and most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded with 1-min wind speeds of up to 305km/h (10-min 260 km/h): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Tip

Original Post Deleted
    Facts? You are giving facts to CC? Wait a second...he will move the goal post a bit further.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    virago and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Can we just settle this in agreement: "everything in the US is worst"?
    Oh yes, I think we can agree on that one!
    auss likes this.

Page 24 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast