Like Tree468Likes

Typhoon Season 2013

Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 39 ... LastLast

In the meantime, T1 is up...

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Is it?? I saw the tracking and thinks its more WNW.....
    I'm looking at the storm's real-time movement as opposed to the forecast track. It's actual movement in real-time beats any forecast track.

Of course, this slight pole-ward nudge may just be a very temporary movement. Or it may not be. We'll see.

Anyway, the key is when exactly the storm will turn more northwards. If it turns northward earlier than forecast, then it will be closer to HK.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 12-08-2013 at 04:32 PM.

When is this due to be at its worst for Hong Kong? I'm flying in on Thursday and I hate bad weather landings

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    When is this due to be at its worst for Hong Kong? I'm flying in on Thursday and I hate bad weather landings
    What time on Thursday?

I'd say tomorrow afternoon/evening, but UTOR is moving quite fast, could be even earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    I'd say tomorrow afternoon/evening, but UTOR is moving quite fast, could be even earlier.
    Yes but a t8?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Not just speed but also direction. When the storm turns north determines the proximity to HK and the chance of a T8.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 12-08-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Ok, so I just learnt that you can mouse over the little typhoon symbols on the typhoon track at HKO and get a window showing time. They say it will be over land near Guangxi when I'm due to land
    Thursday afternoon. Although the actual track looks like going closer to HK than the forecast. Still, looks like it might be a rough landing.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Ok, so I just learnt that you can mouse over the little typhoon symbols on the typhoon track at HKO and get a window showing time. They say it will be over land near Guangxi when I'm due to land
    Thursday afternoon. Although the actual track looks like going closer to HK than the forecast. Still, looks like it might be a rough landing.
    Why? From the turbulence or the fear of ending up in a crash? Even if it is a rough landing, the pilot in command is fully qualified to land the plane, it will be safe. There is strict limit on the crosswind threshold which planes can no longer land. Likewise, any decent commercial pilot in question is trained for landings in less than ideal conditions. If there is a wind shear for example, the pilot will conduct a "go around", circle the plane for another attempt at landing. I mean, you do realize pilots are well trained for these kind of scenarios? That's what they are paid for you know.

If the weather condition is deemed to be beyond the tolerance level of the aircraft, your plane will simply divert to another location. Probably Guangzhou. A big hassle, but your life will not be endangered.

Of course, if you are flying on a less reputable airline, all bets are off.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 12-08-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Why? From the turbulence or the fear of ending up in a crash? Even if it is a rough landing, the pilot in command is fully qualified to land the plane, it will be safe. There is strict limit on the crosswind threshold which planes can no longer land. Likewise, any decent commercial pilot in question is trained for landings in less than ideal conditions. If there is a wind shear for example, the pilot will conduct a "go around", circle the plane for another attempt at landing. I mean, you do realize pilots are well trained for these kind of scenarios? That's what they are paid for you know.

If the weather condition is deemed to be beyond the tolerance level of the aircraft, your plane will simply divert to another location. Probably Guangzhou. A big hassle, but your life will not be endangered.

Of course, if you are flying on a less reputable airline, all bets are off.

Yes, I do indeed realise pilots are well trained for these situations, and also why I pay extra to fly with 'reputable' airlines. I am well aware I have more chance of dying from crossing the road than in a plane crash.

However, that wasn't my point, I said I didn't like bad weather landings, not that I am gripping the armrest in sheer terror that the plane is about to fall from the sky. I dislike turbulence and bumpy landings, mainly because I have a 9 year old for whom I am expected to hold the sick bag. Last rough landing we discovered there were no sick bags in our row, it wasn't pretty.

On a sidenote, CNN are calling Utor the world's strongest storm this year. Thankfully only one confirmed death so far in Philippines, 20 fisherman missing because they didn't check a weather report first.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 12-08-2013 at 06:55 PM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 39 ... LastLast