Like Tree77Likes

Egypt girl's death puts spotlight on genital mutilation

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

dont forget the boys 2!

no arguement FGM is wrong - but so is circumcision.

lets not mutilate any minors fullstop!

MovingIn07, INXS and Gruntfuttock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    dont forget the boys 2!

Agree with this. While FGM is terrible, MGM is pretty hard to undo as well if the kid later realises what he's lost.

But in my mind FGM is just like rape - it's about power, not sex.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    dont forget the boys 2!

I agree with you wholeheartedly...but...

Male circumcision has been shown to have possible health benefits and is generally less risky than female mutilation. And having your foreskin chopped off can't be as bad as having your clitoris removed. Certainly not condoning it though - hacking off any parts of a child's bits without is heinous.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith:
    I agree with you wholeheartedly...but...

Male circumcision has been shown to have possible health benefits and is generally less risky than female mutilation. And having your foreskin chopped off can't be as bad as having your clitoris removed. Certainly not condoning it though - hacking off any parts of a child's bits without is heinous.
    Actually there is no evidence at all for the supposed health benefits of male circumcision. (We had a rather a long thread on it a while back. Best to refer to that and not divert this one). This is the old thread. http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/8...241706-11.html
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 20-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

FGM and male circumcision are in no way equivalent.

FGM is always a method of controlling women and their sexuality. It is done usually between the ages of 4 and 10, without anaesthetic, when the girl can remember every second of it. It can cause both short-time and long-term medical complications. In the short term it can cause severe pain, shock, haemorrhage, urinary tract complications, urinary tract infections, septicaemia and even death. In the long term, problems include incontinence, painful sexual intercourse, and even sexual dysfunction.

Male circumcision is not a method of controlling males and their sexuality. It is usually done when the boy is a baby, and cannot remember the procedure. Medical complications are, in general, uncommon for boys who undergo circumcision, especially in more developed countries.

Yes, both FGM and male circumcision should stop, but I repeat FGM and male circumcision are in no way equivalent.

arrowsmith, INXS, Lootoo and 4 others like this.

I agree - FGM is about power. MGM is about stupidity.

scrambler, INXS and Claire ex-ax like this.

powerful stupidity it seem.

FGM is totally wrong- the bit about being 4-10 is terrifying. cruel absolutely.

cannot distract from that.

but u still cant convince me it that its ok to do on boy.

seems there are quite a few go wrong even in america every year

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Actually there is no evidence at all for the supposed health benefits of male circumcision. (We had a rather a long thread on it a while back. Best to refer to that and not divert this one). This is the old thread. http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/8...241706-11.html
    According to the WHO:

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%.

http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircumcision/en/
    Last edited by arrowsmith; 20-06-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith:
    According to the WHO:

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%.
    Oh the joy!!!

bet your sausage is snipped. thats the only reason men ever spout this political waffle.

I wouldnt rely on circumcusion to prevent AIDS...

wasnt this updated right after the courtcases where they were gonna ban it in germany?

Last edited by scrambler; 20-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    INXS likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast