Like Tree9Likes

Winter in Hong Kong - scarves and coats?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Winter in Hong Kong - scarves and coats?

Are the winters cold enough for scarves and coats? I have packing up my home to relocate and wondering if I should throw out my warm scarves and wool coat or pack them in.

Quote Originally Posted by dayzee:
    Are the winters cold enough for scarves and coats? I have packing up my home to relocate and wondering if I should throw out my warm scarves and wool coat or pack them in.
    The winters in HK are not cold enough, but the AC in the summer may warrant it.

You will need something for the office in summer - many folks keep a warm sweater in their desks, for example. If you plan to stay here for years, you may find winters seem colder after a while (the locals certainly wear scarfs and wool and down jackets). I found myself more tolerant to summer and less tolerant to cold over the years!

However - consider - do you like skiing? If so, you may want to visit Japan or Korea and would need appropriate gear. Similarly, Harbin for the ice festival is a lovely trip and you would need something warm for that. Or a trip to Australia during winter etc. So I would not leave 100% at home, but you don't need a huge amount.

Indoor heating is much less common here...yes, bring your warm stuff along. You will need it on the coldest days.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You will need something for the office in summer - many folks keep a warm sweater in their desks, for example. If you plan to stay here for years, you may find winters seem colder after a while (the locals certainly wear scarfs and wool and down jackets).
    As well as gloves and hats with ear flaps - while I walk around in a T-Shirt or Sweater (unless it's raining).

But as Moving recommends bring some warm cloth just in case you feel easily cold or if you want to travel to colder places.

Dayzee, where are you moving from? I take it that it's a relatively cool climate? In which case, the most you'll need is a lightweight jacket and some long sleeved tops.

As Moving has said already, the only time you'll really need cold weather clothes is if you leave HK to visit somewhere cold.

The locals seem to start wearing puffa jackets when it drops below 20 degrees. It's quite amusing!

Quote Originally Posted by dayzee:
    Yes, it is. We've had some mild winters lately, but I remember 2008 was very cold...

we find every winter that the inside of our house is MUCH colder than outside....we'll be wearing sweaters/jumpers inside with a heater on and then go outside and be too warm

if every winter is like the last one, which is my first in hk, then you will be okay with shirt and shorts in the winter. pretty much what i did most of the time. some weeks you may want a jacket, but wasn't cold enough for me. maybe next one i will wear something extra...

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    if every winter is like the last one, which is my first in hk, then you will be okay with shirt and shorts in the winter. pretty much what i did most of the time. some weeks you may want a jacket, but wasn't cold enough for me. maybe next one i will wear something extra...
    This winter was quite warm...I don't recall using my space heater at all. 2008 was far different, I remember freezing to death in my flat for several weeks with multiple space heaters. Also I didn't have a thick jacket, so I wore about 6 layers of shirts.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast