Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Football16
  • 1 Post By hktraveller
  • 1 Post By rockpapercannon
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax

Best place to exchange currency

Closed Thread

Best place to exchange currency

Hello, I'm looking to buy a few thousand Canadian dollars and was wondering where do you guys suggest is the best place, preferably on kowloon side. I went to Chungking Mansion but their rates were quite poor, even worse than HSBC. ForHsbc the rate was ok but the charge was $8cdn above the spot rate per each thousand. Anyone know a better place?

Berlin Exchange, but its Island side, so don't actually know if that would help you.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

'That' place in Worldwide Plaza.

hullexile likes this.

Even Berlin is showing 8.5cdn for every thousand.

The best rate I have seen in Chungking is 7.42 today. I don't think it will get much better.

BryanL likes this.

HK Traveller a long time ago did a comparison of these places below. Remember this is old data though. 2008.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/40/thread13463.html

Since comparison is only possible at the same time, here a result:
    Right now:

Berlin Exchange Tel. 2523 3403
    USD buy: 7.7930 sell: 7.8080
    RMB buy: 1.136364 sell: 1.144165

HSBC premier (electronic transfer rate, not cash)
    USD buy: 7.7925 sell: 7.8185
    RMB buy: 1.1375 sell: 1.1550 (rounded)

HSBC China (electronic transfer rate, not cash)
    RMB buy: 1.138434 sell: 1.147578

China Foreign Exchange 1/F, Chungking Mansion, Tel. 2316 2611
    USD buy: 7.787 sell 7.80
    RMB buy: 1.137 sell: 1.145

Pacific Exchange, 1/F Chungking Mansion, Tel. 2724 4980
    USD buy: 7.785 sell 7.81
    RMB buy: 1.135 sell: 1.145475

Do not change at Chungking ground floor, expecially not at the first shops when you come in, and do not change during non banking hours if avoidable, since the spread is bigger then.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 22-08-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    Last edited by Football16; 25-06-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    BryanL likes this.

Hey thanks a lot guys!

If anyone wants to exchange cdn to hkd let me know

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    Hello, I'm looking to buy a few thousand Canadian dollars and was wondering where do you guys suggest is the best place, preferably on kowloon side. I went to Chungking Mansion but their rates were quite poor, even worse than HSBC. ForHsbc the rate was ok but the charge was $8cdn above the spot rate per each thousand. Anyone know a better place?
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought this info might be helpful for others.

I've been looking into exchanging money from HKD to Thai Baht for an upcoming holiday and was also really curious to see where I could get the best rates.

My research from today gave me the following results:

HSBC: 0.2528
    Travelex: 0.2592 (order online, pickup in store)
    KSME: 0.2430

That latter store I found by chance through a Google search, and I was stunned by how good the rate was. It was located in Chungking Mansions though so I was a bit iffy. Still, I went in and checked it out today and sure enough, it was there offering that killer rate. The shop was surrounded by loads of dodgy looking foreign exchange stores - interestingly all of them had worse rates too. But KSME seemed professional enough and had decent English. Short queue too, unlike the Berlin stories I've read about here.

KSME website link for anyone interested: Best Exchanges Rates Hong Kong, No Commission - KSME
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockpapercannon:
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought this info might be helpful for others.

I've been looking into exchanging money from HKD to Thai Baht for an upcoming holiday and was also really curious to see where I could get the best rates.

My research from today gave me the following results:

HSBC: 0.2528
    Travelex: 0.2592 (order online, pickup in store)
    KSME: 0.2430

That latter store I found by chance through a Google search, and I was stunned by how good the rate was. It was located in Chungking Mansions though so I was a bit iffy. Still, I went in and checked it out today and sure enough, it was there offering that killer rate. The shop was surrounded by loads of dodgy looking foreign exchange stores - interestingly all of them had worse rates too. But KSME seemed professional enough and had decent English. Short queue too, unlike the Berlin stories I've read about here.

KSME website link for anyone interested: Best Exchanges Rates Hong Kong, No Commission - KSME
    Berlin are offering it for 0.24213

百年找換有限公司 Berlin Company Exchange Limited

Yeah but you are 3 days late pin. KSME are today offering THB for 0.2420, so better than Berlin today.