Like Tree12Likes

Do helpers deserve a raise?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    I'd like to see how they come up with these numbers.

I've been asked for a balance today, because one of my local colleagues wanted to find out how much water to fill in a plastic box in order to add 200 kg. I kid you not. And he's an engineer (usually a bright one compared to the rest I do often work with). When I quickly told him (using a measuring tape) that filling the box to the top gives him 245kg of weight, he was looking at me like I am some sort of Alien.

Edit: Yes, helpers deserve a raise!
    I would guess they are skewing that number to somehow say they are spending "extra" to provide housing... Which for most is complete BS. Most people don't adjust their living situation and add "extra" room due to a helper... They just put the helper wherever they can..so it is a bit disingenuous to factor in "housing" as an expense.. especially when you put the helper in a crawl space or in the kids room. IF helpers were required by law to have their own room...this would be a legitimate claim..but they're not.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 25-06-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Typically the FDHers get raises in MAW (minimum allowable wage) based on inflation. (Salary has been adjusted down at times too)

Their salary history since 2008 is...

2008 ....... $3580
    2011.........$3740
    2012.........$3920

Here is the HK inflation info as well...

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/hong-kong/inflation-cpi

shri likes this.

Yes they should because i dont have a FDH

No they shouldnt because i need to get a FDH soon and i need the extra 300$ to buy milk powder

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith:
    Let the market decide how much they should be paid. This is Hong Kong after all.
    You can't let market forces dictate pay when creating a scheme, importing cheap labor from poor countries...that would be exploitation. Of course, people from poor countries would be willing to work for less than "true" market rates.

If you wanted to find out the correct wage using the "true market" than ask the local labor force how much it would take for them to work as DHers (and submit themself to working 16 hr days/6 days a week)? I'm guessing that wage would be double or triple the current FDH MIminum allowable wage.....

A big issue is employers underpaying their FDHs. I think any employer caught doing this should be forced to immediately pay all salaries due until the end of the contract, after which the helper can find a new employer.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    You can't let market forces dictate pay when creating a scheme, importing cheap labor from poor countries...that would be exploitation. Of course, people from poor countries would be willing to work for less than "true" market rates.

If you wanted to find out the correct wage using the "true market" than ask the local labor force how much it would take for them to work as DHers (and submit themself to working 16 hr days/6 days a week)? I'm guessing that wage would be double or triple the current FDH MIminum allowable wage.....

HowardCoombs and BCD like this.

Well, that's the only 2 options available right now. Either live with your employer in HK or don't come here at all.

The more humane way would be to set up a central home in Hong Hong for DH and have them go to work for 8-10 hours and not have to sleep along with crying babies. That'd be a bit more humane, but I'd then ask how realistic this would be.

Their living standards are just a little below minimum wage workers here in HK (~$9000 / 11 work hour). I'm not sure how realistic it'd be to argue for more money, but being expected to be available 16 hours a day is something that should be improved.

Last edited by Creative83; 25-06-2013 at 07:40 AM.

I find it quite disturbing that in these relatively good economic times, where the vast majority of Hong Kongers are seeing raises and salary increases, that some people find the need to go down to Tamar and protest against helpers getting a raise!!

Surely their wages (minimum allowable wages) should be tied to key economic indicators and go up with inflation?

I also think that the Hong Kong gov. needs to adjust the minimum salary requirement for people to employ a FDH. I'm not sure when the 15k per month salary minimum for a person to employ a helper was last reviewed, but I think it's fair to say that making 15k a month in 2007 is a lot different than making 15k a month in 2013. I think that limit should be tied to economic indicators as well, and be adjustable.

Last edited by closedcasket; 25-06-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:

I see that getting your first post deleted hasn't stopped you from trying to divert, hijack and shut down this thread. Why don't you just ignore the thread if it doesn't interest you?

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I find it quite disturbing that in these relatively good economic times, where the vast majority of Hong Kongers are seeing raises and salary increases, that some people find the need to go down to Tamar and protest against helpers getting a raise.
    It is called freedom of speech. You may not agree with their message (I don't) but they have the right to voice their point as they see fit as long as it is done in a respectful and lawful manner.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    INXS likes this.