Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bakachinoise
  • 1 Post By bakachinoise

Piano practice in HK

Closed Thread

Piano practice in HK

Hi - Does anyone know anywhere I could get onto a piano for a few hours a week to have a practice / play? I'm a self taught pianist of 20 years but since coming to HK, have hardly had a chance to play due to not having a piano / my gear here.

It doesn't necessarily need to be formal rehearsal rooms only (although a rundown / list of those available in HK would be useful), it could also be clubhouses or education establishments where there is a spare piano I could get onto if I ask the security guards nicely, etc etc.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pb1234:
    Hi - Does anyone know anywhere I could get onto a piano for a few hours a week to have a practice / play? I'm a self taught pianist of 20 years but since coming to HK, have hardly had a chance to play due to not having a piano / my gear here.

It doesn't necessarily need to be formal rehearsal rooms only (although a rundown / list of those available in HK would be useful), it could also be clubhouses or education establishments where there is a spare piano I could get onto if I ask the security guards nicely, etc etc.

Thanks!
    I guess there aren't many pianists in Hong Kong then that don't have their own piano...

Hi, I've actually got my own piano now. I rented the smallest one possible for $220 a month (year contract). All of these music studios dotted around every neighborhood usually have hourly rates for using a practice room, some even with a grand piano. Unfortunately, I can't remember the range of prices, but I remember thinking it was a bit pricey for what it was (I guess space in Hong Kong comes at a dear price). Why don't you see what studios there are in your neighborhood and just pop in and ask them their rates? Of course some of the bigger music centers will also do this, too. YMCA might also have some rooms for renting.
    I don't think it would be likely that you can get into a building with a piano in it that's for residents only, as the few places I've visited with one were quite picky about it (but you never know!).

There are so many studios for renting now if you search online. Price really ranges depending on brand and quality of piano. From Taikoo Shing to Central , mostly are inside commercial buildings. It must be exciting to find a suitable one for your constant practice. Otherwise those 20 years are a loss...

pb1234 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bakachinoise:
    There are so many studios for renting now if you search online. Price really ranges depending on brand and quality of piano. From Taikoo Shing to Central , mostly are inside commercial buildings. It must be exciting to find a suitable one for your constant practice. Otherwise those 20 years are a loss...
    Hey that's great advice thanks - I didn't know that. Do you have any in particular you know / have in mind and is it literally a google search for "music studios Hong Kong" or something else you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by pb1234:
    Hey that's great advice thanks - I didn't know that. Do you have any in particular you know / have in mind and is it literally a google search for "music studios Hong Kong" or something else you suggest?
    From what I know, and depend on what kind of piano you want, there are plenty of choices.

Some regional civic centers have small rooms with upright piano for rent. There are some private piano room rental ads on classifieds and other website like 88db.com

You can google "piano room rental hong kong" for more results.

One thing is certain: You have to pay for rentals. Hong Kong people tend to be not as nice as Westerners.
    Last edited by richteralan; 17-08-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richteralan:
    From what I know, and depend on what kind of piano you want, there are plenty of choices.

Some regional civic centers have small rooms with upright piano for rent. There are some private piano room rental ads on classifieds and other website like 88db.com

You can google "piano room rental hong kong" for more results.

One thing is certain: You have to pay for rentals. Hong Kong people tend to be not as nice as Westerners.
    Or 章記大廈in central has a nice studio with grand piano . I forgot the name but you can try
    pb1234 likes this.