Like Tree11Likes

Script to automatically renew your books at the Hong Kong Public Library

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    This just seems to be something for which there is already a solution, as amitsingh_hk says above.
    No, there isn't. The HKPL provides a page where you have to type in your HKID and password and do the renewals MANUALLY by inspecting how many days are left for each book. The script does it AUTOMATICALLY for each book that has one day left to renew. amitsingh_hk : the script does away with having to look at the email reminder.

Why don't you read the damn script and understand what value it adds? Oh wait, you CANNOT. But, of course, you feel that inner glow of confidence which makes you think you can be dismissive about it despite the incompetence!

a) Being dismissive about something you clearly even cannot understand...
    b) ...after people have used "pearls before swine" and "Luddite" in this thread, i.e., never pausing to wonder if that was about you

Just brilliant. Reminded me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect.

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes."
    Last edited by vijucat; 12-07-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Don't want to be hateful

If my short term memory can hold up to 9 items I will probably use it to... oh damn what was I going to say?

If only you could devise a script to automatically return my books to the library...