Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By virago

a truly sad and shameful story for China to reflect on

Closed Thread

a truly sad and shameful story for China to reflect on

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...angdong-police

Sex worker rights activist Ye Haiyan was made homeless yesterday when Guangdong security police abandoned her, her teenage daughter and their possessions on a remote roadside 120 kilometres from their home in Zhongshan.

Ye said the forced eviction, which she documented on social media, followed days of harassment by authorities in Zhongshan, where they had attempted to settle after being forced out of at least two other provinces.

(...)

"A head of [the Zhongshan security police] said to me: 'You stand up straight and listen. Get back to your Hubei. Zhongshan doesn't welcome you. Guangzhou also doesn't welcome you.

"'If I ever see you again in Zhongshan, I'll break your legs. I'll let you go on this one'."

(...)

In 2010, Ye was forced from Wuhan in Hubei after campaigning to legalise prostitution. In June, she was detained for 13 days in Bobai county, Guangxi , after protesting in Hainan over the rape of six schoolgirls by a principal and a government official.

Quote Originally Posted by garycyk:
    There are millions of similar stories in Dongguan
    What? Millions of women campaigning in Dongguan to legalise prostitution?

Sent from somewhere....
    100LL, elle and Watercooler like this.

Hardly surprising. Given the fact that the average Chinese citizen don't enjoy rights or respect from the government comparable in the West, it's a stretch to imagine someone campaigning for a unpopular cause (from the view of the gov) will be treated well.

Protip: If you attempt to protest as a Western Foreigner, they'll treat you with the same respect you get in the West and nothing bad will happen to you.