Like Tree33Likes

expats - the better people?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by TankerMan:
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. People come to HK to work. You should not expect any special treatment here just because you happen to be an "expat".
    But we DO get special treatment every day. We ARE treated better by local staff and subordinates than locals will ever be. It must drive them nuts and really eat into their elitist delusions.
    Azuremain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    I've found them in every country or city I've lived in. The worst was Dubai. Honestly.However, I do miss the textile souks and traders plus the labourers canteens where you can buy some of the best food ( great for a Vegetarian as I am plus cater for my carnivore husband) with the warmest service you will never find in one of those expat buffet resto haunts, for cheap prices. And no, I've never been sick. Touch wood. Plus inexpensive ladies only Muay Thai classes and my few unpretentious friends.

Rarely have I found the locals here rude. Pushy. Yes but it comes as part of the culture, but every race and nationality comes with its own indiosyncrasies. That's what makes expat life so interesting.
    This is for you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22781377

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world

I wanna know that guy's dealer... he's smoking some good stuff

The article's about as even and unbiased as a local Hongkonger's view of expats would be

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by d-28:
    The article's about as even and unbiased as a local Hongkonger's view of expats would be
    You're saying that it's totally correct?

Quote Originally Posted by d-28:
    What? That expats have money to throw around and fritter away like we poo it out everyday?

You gotta be joking, but heh, from what I've seen so far and experienced, it just may well be true.

Not all expats live in their own loaded with cash bubble, and not all live the high life, either. A great deal of us expats lead down to earth, saving hard lives.

How many people in Melbourne do you think sit around writing on a forum just for Melbournites?

How many people in Melbourne do you think just go and meet up for drinks/language exchange with other folks they just met on said forum?

I think the article is spot on. OBVIOUSLY it's a generalisation and like all generalisations not every detail fits every person. But as a rough generalisation it's pretty accurate.

And he's right - the less developed the country, the better. Being an expat in London or Sydney is not the same as Hong Kong (due to language/culture) or Thailand, for example.

I think it all depends. people differs. But if I am going to make a hyperbolic generalization, yes expats are better people.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4