Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jaykay
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

SCMP Content : Stolen or Shared?

Closed Thread

SCMP Content : Stolen or Shared?

Something odd is going on and I'm curious who is the bad guy here...

We are hiring (a farily junior job) and put up a small ad on SCMP last week. For the past week we have received resumes saying "I saw your ad on SCMP...."

In the past 2 days I've gotten 2 different type of emails(aside from the SCMP email):
    1) "I saw your ad on http://www.smartjob.com/"
    2) "I saw your ad on http://jiujik.com/"

We didnt put those ads up there so clearly either SCMP is sharing our ad for bigger expousure or someone is stealing SCMP content.

I'm curious : Anyone know who is doing this?
    I'm happy no matter what as the single price I've paid is getting me lots of exposure but somehting strange is going on...

Both sites owned by SCMP. Surprised you didn't know.

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Both sites owned by SCMP. Surprised you didn't know.
    I had no idea - but now that you've mentioned it and I dug around a bit,and you're right; they both seemed to be owned by the same group...
    Thank you for the lesson.

It could be stolen.

I have in the past put ads on jobs DB. You generally have to buy packages for one month or more. The packages usually are blocks of three ads. If you don't use them they will remind you a week before and instead of losing out you advertise a position you 'might' need in the future so you get resumes for future contact.

One reason why you get a high response rate to positions as people just canvas resumes as well as high number of advertisements on these sites. And another reason why people looking for positions say there is very low response to recruitment ads.

In your case they are probably just filling out pages and creating a customer base to hoping you come to them next time to advertise.

Edit : ok jay explained it in one sentence.

Sent from somewhere....

Last edited by virago; 19-07-2013 at 11:37 AM.

you learn something new everyday on GEO-EXPAT. Wahey!!!!!

Titus likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I didn't know the SCMP owned the other sites (thanks for the heads-up), otherwise I would have said the respondees were doing email blasts for jobs and have forgotten where they originally saw them.

There are a fair few "jobs search" engines that scrape various sites / aggregate via XML feeds on a pre-arranged basis.

Even if they're not owned by the same group, the listings end up on various job site backfills.

This happens in the classifieds space too ....

Here's a random example - http://www.indeed.com/jsp/apiinfo.jsp