What is the meaning of Vegetarian?

Closed Thread

Smile What is the meaning of Vegetarian?

Hmm what is the meaning of Vegetarian, these days i am listening many new things on the same thing. People include fish into the list when they say vegetarian, I am a vegetarian feel trouble finding food in Hong Kong.. For me vegetarian means
    All vegetables, fruits only...

The proper definition is no food that involves killing an animal. So milk, cheese, eggs, are OK for vegetarians. Fish and meat from animals, and anything made using them, are not.

Tricky areas include:

- Some cheese is made with rennet which is an animal product so that isn't vegetarian.
    - Some beers and many wines are made using fish products

If you don't eat meat, fish, eggs, or any dairy products then you are vegan.

If you are "vegetarian + fish" then the word seems to be "pescetarian".

I'm not aware of a word for "no red meat", which, bizarrely I have also heard described as "vegetarian".

he he he,

I hear you. I call myself vegetarian. I don't eat meat, or fish, or any other flesh. I do drink milk, and occasionally eggs. A lot of people say they are vegetarian if they don't eat red meat. It is weird. I call vegetarian someone who does not eat any flesh at all.

Then you have vegan, who are vegetarian AND don't eat eggs or milk, ie NO animal products... then you have jain and fruitarian and other more specific types of vegos too...

The main problem I have in HK is that people don't think fish or fish products are animal products, so often vegetarian food will have fish or seafood in it... unless you specifically say no meat, no fish, no pork, no chicken, no lamb (etc etc..)

PDLM beat me on this... so a lot of what he says in in my post too... or vise versa... no red squares for "repeating what was already said" pleeeeease...

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 09-05-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: PDLM beat me to it...

Smile Hmm yes... thats true.. I am a half Vegan

I also dont eat eggs and but will take milk and will not eat anything made of spoiled milk like rasagolla you are speaking about jains.. thats a part of Indians ..