Like Tree14Likes

New Apartment--Is Bug Problem Normal?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Those were my exact thoughts...how I wish I had a guy to take care of this stuff! I don't feel any stronger or braver after dealing with them, just more fearful.

1. contact your landlord to organise someone to come in
    2. if you're looking for someone to come in and kill the bugs, contact this guy, he is great
    William Chan
    Target Pest Control Centre
    O/B Alpha Standard Limited
    Tel. 6725-6750

lehcarachel likes this.

Definitely check to see how they are getting in. In my previous flat, they were getting in through the drains in the bathroom walls and under the front door. I got drain covers and put a door sweep on and fixed that problem.

I would also get a box of roach bait and put them everywhere. Especially under sinks, the washing machine and the fridge.

lehcarachel likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    150?! 😬

Also, just because you're all alive doesn't mean it's not harmful to your health!

bug bombs are effective if you have minor problems with fleas, cockroaches and ants located in your apartment, if you see more than 2-3 a day, there must be underlying source ( probably next door, drains, outside) which is causing the problem, and bug bombs may not effective at all.

I had one cockroach ( large one) when I moved in, however, I was worried about fleas as the previous owner had a dog, it seemed effective as we had on average one -two cockroach every 6 months so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Keeping the humidity down also seems to help with some types of bug, and definitely with mould. At this time of year I would at least be running a dehumidifier 24*7 and maybe aircons, unless your apartment is extremely well-ventilated (but then you have the "bug coming in through the open window" problem).
    I agree with keeping the place cool/dry but also clean (no leftovers on the kitchen table or in the sink, wipe away food/drink residues etc.) will help but be careful with those air-cons, if they leak you may find a small lake inside your place when you get home or wake up and the roaches will throw a pool party.
    Last edited by Raccon; 31-07-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Its the moths that get up my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    Its the moths that get up my nose.
    That must be unpleasant.

It's hard to get away from them if you are living in high density areas. No matter how hard you try to keep your place roach free, you can't control your neighbors or the neighborhood.

If cockroaches really bother you, and they tend to come out a lot at night, then you should consider sleeping in a mosquito net as well. And check in the net before going to bed and/or keeping the net zipped up all day.

At least you can get some pleasant sleep without worrying about them crawling over you. Or waking up seeing a few larger ones flying around your head.

what are some of the common bugs in hong kong? other than termites... i smashed a bug last night and wasn't sure what it is. it ran pretty quickly but was not a cockroach or anything...