Like Tree59Likes

Hong Kong's Cost of Living 2013

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I know alot of people talk about the cost of International Schools but those prices are out there.

What about the local schools? What the costs per year?

INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    Hmmm, you will definitely save a lot if you steer away from supermarket but buying from the wet market. However, cooked meals are so expensive now and you can hardly get a lunch for less than HK$30. Also, I bought most of my personal hygiene stuffs/hair products/ toilet papers etc via mom and pop's pharmacies, a lot cheaper.
    Since moving to Lantau, our grocery bill has almost doubled, and no, we buy the cheapest stuff available. I often head over to Sham Shui Po to the wet market for fruit and veg plus the odd toiletry needs and it's much cheaper, and the food fresher than what I find in Taste Tung Chung. The PnS and Wellcome in Mui Wo are just pitiful.

It's a pity that the dai Pai dongs are fading out of the dining scene. I normally eat in the food court in the Dragon Centre for not more than $30. No complaints there, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    If I remember well a Big Mac meal is just $21.
    Its even more expensive at the Airport! We were waiting for friends' very much delayed flight to arrive, so my husband gets hungry and goes for a Maccas meal. Apparently, it's about a 3rd more expensive than in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Well, I complained to the pointy-haired boss about the price of 501s. $35ish on Amazon and $900 in HK.
    The cost of clothes here is ridiculous. Can't believe that Topshop is more expensive than Zara, which is also becoming expensive.

We had this discussion before: apparently Topshop has repositioned itself since the days when it was the poor man's BHS.

One can still find similar styles in BHS or Primark for less.

Last edited by Natfixit; 08-08-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Typo!

Does seem to be missing lower cost dining. I cant remember the last time I spent 600hkd on a meal. Lunch is normally betwen 50 and 100 pp and dinner around 300 to 400 for 2.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using GeoClicks mobile app

kimwy66 and auss like this.

Besides rent and car registration fee, other expenses are really low.

Too bad rent nudged everything up.

I am not seeing personal lamination machine on the list? what gives?

Nice list but I would suggest including a few more places for accomodation:
    eg : RepulseBay or Stanley, Mong Kong/ShamShuiPo, Saikung & DB, Yuenlong and TaiPo.
    Give a better idea of the big range and variety of prices are available...

chris_yang22 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast