Like Tree59Likes

Hong Kong's Cost of Living 2013

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Sorry! I didn't realise that this cost of living guide was only for successful, upper class people. My mistake.

That's quite correct. What's the problem?

Original Post Deleted
    Oh....you mean 'wankers'.
    Last edited by INXS; 09-08-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    auss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Overall quite ok.

two comments tho...400hkd for water????

Samsung 32LCD...bought one 3 years ago for 3990 …

Agree w Mac Do...it is 21 …not 31…

The rest seems pretty spot on.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    I've got 2 kids (1.5 and 5 yo) and a DH, I paid HK$300 water per months

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Entertainment and arguments on the geoexpat forums - free of charge!
    No, that's pricesless.
    drumbrake and auss like this.

I don't think it's unreasonable to point out somewhere that these prices are for people who wish to live their overseas lifestyle in HK. There are PLENTY of expats who live a much more modest lifestyle here - including some of us who actually earn enough to live the "successful expat" lifestyle if we really wanted to (but choose not to, because it's just not who we are). I was on over HKD120k a month when I first moved here, plus bonus, and still never thought that living in Mid-Levels (when my office was in Admiralty) made sense. Now, on a fair bit less (but with far more responsibility LOL!), I live the same lifestyle as before and just save less each month. Not everyone wants to spend every cent they earn and be locked into a "successful" salary which limits your options and flexibility in the future.

I can see that the survey cannot be all things to all people, but perhaps there should be an entirely separate article for "normal people" - the many, many teachers, general business people, engineers and others who are not fat-cat wankers who live in the clouds.

toastandjam and INXS like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To anyone thinking of moving to Hong Kong and who has read the Geoexpat's "Cost of Living 2013" (and has read this thread):

All you need to know is...

The figures are for comparison only. Things will be cheaper. Things will be more expensive.

And there will always be someone who will play the incredibly tedious "I can get it cheaper than anyone else" game. *yawn*

I can buy an apple for $2.50 not $3.90.....

auss likes this.

I just thing the, "ooh, isn't it pricey", threads have been done to death...I personally don't find it that expensive to live here...

It's like London, live in Chelsea and it's expensive! I bet some people get put off coming here by the scaremongering over price and I see it time and again on these boards. Of course Tuen Mun isn't for everyone but, ffs, not everyone has to live in the city and drink cocktails in LKF...

ulanshka likes this.

dengxi, virago, MovingIn07 and 1 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast