Like Tree20Likes

Cockroach-infested flat

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cockroach-infested flat

Is this part of the fun you get during summer in HK? Is it just me or does it happen to everyone else? This is not what I experienced over last summer but that's before I moved to my current flat. Ok, I've just killed 10 at point of writing and still counting. On average days, 5. Please help(!!!!!) before I go insane waking up middle of the night on my new-found hobby.

Have you heard of pest control?

virago and karen09 like this.

Bomb the flat with an insect bomb (you can buy them in the supermarket). Make sure you have no food left out. If that does not work then it's not you it's somewhere in your environment (neighbour, outside etc) and there may be nothing you can do except move.

Titus and karen09 like this.

Always check for bug signs when checking out a potential flat. Cupboards, warm spots behind fridges, near cookers etc. We previously had a flat that had a problem with the small german cockroaches and never succeeded in getting rid of them, it was more a case of keeping them under control, because the building was infested. I have no issues in our current place because I made sure there was not a problem before we moved in.

I bomb the lift lobby and back staircase once a year

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Always check for bug signs when checking out a potential flat. Cupboards, warm spots behind fridges, near cookers etc. We previously had a flat that had a problem with the small german cockroaches and never succeeded in getting rid of them, it was more a case of keeping them under control, because the building was infested. I have no issues in our current place because I made sure there was not a problem before we moved in.
    I bet they were always the first out in the morning.

Clean the entire apartment, sweep daily, keep all food in sealed containers, don't leave dirty dishes or kitchen rags out. If you've bombed your apartment and they keep coming, then you need to get some repellents. I did all of the above and still had cockroaches, I checked online for natural repellents and found that bay leaves and catnip do actually work. I put a few bay leaves around in areas I can't spray bc of electrical outlets or wires and I brewed catnip tea (generous amount of catnip in water, gently simmer for a few minutes) which I put in a spray bottle and sprayed down my entire flat. I spray my flat every 2 weeks now and haven't had a single cockroach since I started this.

killed a couple of those young roaches last night. a few more escaped. going to clean the kitchen tonight. can't bomb the place as i don't want chemicals. wife bought a trap. do those even work?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Catnip, although technically 'chemical'.

really? sucks. really don't want to bomb the place. going to clean up first and see if it gets better. hopefully traps can catch a few as well.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast