Like Tree6Likes

Infrequent crowded Lantau buses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A long time ago they used to run double decker buses on Lantau can you believe it!

Reviving an old thread :
    Does anyone know the maximum number of seated passengers on a Lantau bus?
    What about the maximum number standing?

Google is not helping so I thought I'd try here first before making a phone call...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Reviving an old thread :
    Does anyone know the maximum number of seated passengers on a Lantau bus?
    What about the maximum number standing?

Google is not helping so I thought I'd try here first before making a phone call...
    It varies. Some of those buses have 5 seats in a row and others only the standard 4. Some appear not to allow standing at all (not sure why - no rails?) while in others as many people as can fit in the single aisle are standing - so about 20 usually.

Got the answer from the bus company : 47-49 seated, 0 or 10 standing (depends on bus model)

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Got the answer from the bus company : 47-49 seated, 0 or 10 standing (depends on bus model)
    That max of 10 standing is certainly not enforced. I have been on Lantau buses where there were WAY more than 10 people standing. Although the 0 makes sense, been on those too.

I wonder which route they operate in the NT!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I wonder which route they operate in the NT!
    http://www.newlantaobus.com/nlb.html

深港西部通道 Kong Shum Western Highway
    B2 元朗 往來 深圳灣口岸
    YUEN LONG <==> SHENZHEN BAY PORT
    B2P 天水圍(天慈) 往來 深圳灣口岸
    TIN SHUI WAI (TIN TSZ ESTATE <==> SHENZHEN BAY PORT
    B2X 天水圍(天耀) 往來 深圳灣口岸
    TIN SHUI WAI (TIN YIU ESTATE <==> SHENZHEN BAY PORT

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Remember getting on a Lantau bus heading back to Tung Chung. A family of 5-6 sightseers got on and, I guess, thinking it was a coach, sat next to the windows. "Yipee" they thought. "We've each gotten a window." They chatted back and forth across the aisle.

Then hordes of passengers emerged from the surroundings and started to pile on bus. The family of sightseers suddenly realised they would be cut off from each other and would have a 'stranger' sitting next to them. Passengers were packing themselves into the seats, with sightseeing family trying to regroup but couldn't because the seats next to them where quickly filling. And then the aisle started to fill.

I closed my eyes for a nap, as many do on that route. Alas was not to be. Sightseeing family just had to have a loud discussion about getting something to eat before the next leg of their journey, along with pointing out 'things of interest' which the others, of course, couldn't see.

So...

1. Lantau buses are not sightseeing coaches.
    2. Lantau buses will pick up other passengers.
    3. STFU and let others nap.

Clare could not have explained it better.

I live on south Lantau, treat the island as my usual neighbours do - with respect. HOWEVER, tourists from over the border, expats and locals who drive over to the special permit requirement region and drive at insane speeds, park where they should not , litter like they are throwing confetti at the bride n groom, and bring their feral unleashed pets over to defecate and fight with local dogs / cats.

We have a really lovely local old fella who lets out rooms for students and the the like for the weekend. This old guy cleans up and recycles like crazy, but the people he rents the building out to are pigs. We have a bin area nearby that is kept oh so clean by our cleaners ( who are terrific and friendly, helpful.) , but these tourists just chuck bags and bbq skewers on the ground where the village dogs and cats gets stuck in and think it's Christmas.

I had the misfortune two years ago of sitting opposite a mainland tourist who threw up on the bus. No mention of , "I'm going to be sick, need a plastic bag," just let loose her lunch onto the floor and person next to her. They never move back to allow others onto the bus, and complain when others need to walk down the aisle......oh, and the misfortune of having to sit next to a westerner, let alone move over to let one sit down!

Pardon the rant, but I forgot to mention the rise in burgularies when it is a national holiday. Thing is, the crims prefer to arrive by boat than the bus.

Last edited by Natfixit; 09-12-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast