Like Tree6Likes

Infrequent crowded Lantau buses

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Infrequent crowded Lantau buses

Can I ask anyone living in lantau if this is common? I have been to Lantau twice in the last couple of months, both times at weekend, and caught the 3M from Mui Wo to Tung Chung. Both times the bus has filled up (overfilled in fact) within about 5 mins of starting off and then not stopped for many people along the way. The timetable indicates the bus is very infrequent - 40 mins to and hour gap etc between buses. I was thinking about going hiking on lantau and finishing along that route to catch a bus back to Tung Chung but I'm wondering if it is possible given this crowding. Have I just been unlucky? Do they actually add buses to the timetable when this occurs? If anyone can help much obliged - I do not want to get stranded! (All the taxis along the road were full too so that is not an option either!)

dossier likes this.

I grabbed the 3M from Mui Wo to Tung Chung and it was about 1/3 full when we left the station. It did make many stops and eventually filled up by the time we got to Tung Chung so I don't know if you were bussing on a busy day or not. Best suggestion is to grab it at Mui Wo if able and get there 10 minutes before departure and you'll have a seat.

Blue taxis are also tricky to come by. They have a number you can call to hail one, but I tried that while at the big buddha and there were none available to me so I ended up having to bike back down the mountain.

the other thing you could do is start your hike partway along the bus route and finish in Tung Chung.

I have friends that do the buddha-tung chung hike whenever they visit hong kong.

thanks - tends to confirm my suspicions

will bear in mind when planning hikes!

Best bet is to make sure you have the taxi number.

When you call them offer $20 - $50 extra (depending on where you are / how far off the beaten track). I have never failed to get a taxi using this approach.

Lantau taxi number: 2984 1328

Lantau transport

I feel for you , hikers ...residents face problems too -the earliest commuter buses(only one company here ,la!) in the morning are frequently ancient, slow, not early enough /overcrowded as well...the A35 to the airport has bag room for about 6 people only and is often full also on holidays...Also the local bus service studiously ignores any suggestions to improve the service -
    and we residents pretty much all buy cars in the end ...
    Alas there are only about 50 taxis on Lantau -try ringing their call service if you really want to get completely livid-they hang up in your ear- that is if they even answer...

What Lantau needs, in IMHO, are public light buses. Small enough to cope with the wiggly roads and a frequent service would be much more practical than infrequent large cumbersome and crowded buses. They are an appalling design too, those big buses, with just the one door at the front! Beats me why nobody else runs on the routes - is it Government banned or something?

Any longer term Lantau residents out there to answer this one re the monopoly of NLB company ?
    The new road by the way , over which most of us commuters are only allowed to drive 6pm-8am at present-is delayed ad infinitum due to who knows what plus black rain damage months ago -when it is finally opened we rezzies will be able to drive over willy nilly but that doesn't solve the problem for daytrippers -who will not be able to come over by car -which is a good thing because there is little parking ...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    What Lantau needs, in IMHO, are public light buses. Small enough to cope with the wiggly roads and a frequent service would be much more practical than infrequent large cumbersome and crowded buses. They are an appalling design too, those big buses, with just the one door at the front! Beats me why nobody else runs on the routes - is it Government banned or something?
    Yes I agree with this idea wholeheartedly -anyone up for the tender ? Pretty quiet though over winter ,would you think ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast