3 minute silence

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    right you are, their surplus is in the Billion$
    damm, I just donated 100 rmb, it will probably end up in some government officials pocket for him to spend on his dozen or so Mistresses.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What makes you think China is short of money? I have seen nothing to indicate that this is so...
    or resources/man power for that matter, the Burmese situation however...the donation 'buckets' that were in our local park n shop and a few other places I saw them, swiftly dissapeared after the earthquake last week...I wonder if those donations were 'relocated'..

i hope not. i would donate to burma if I thought there was

any chance it would get to burma. Until they sort that out I'm holding off.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    any chance it would get to burma. Until they sort that out I'm holding off.
    Donated to Burma/Myanmar...
    Have wondered about what's happening there...
    Dreadful.

We had a 3 minute silence in the HSBC building where I am. Interesting about the horn noise. To a westerner the silence is normally afforded as a mark of respect. Genuinely interested is it different here, and that 3 (in this case) minutes of noise can be appropriate also?

it is also sad that some quake relief workers got buried in the mudslide

Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What makes you think China is short of money? I have seen nothing to indicate that this is so...
    Chinese government is loaded with $$$--try US$1.7 trillion! They are probably richer than any other government on earth and yet they turned down offers on sniff dogs and expert recusers from various countries and invited cash donations instead. Where is all that dough going is what I'd like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    We had a 3 minute silence in the HSBC building where I am. Interesting about the horn noise. To a westerner the silence is normally afforded as a mark of respect. Genuinely interested is it different here, and that 3 (in this case) minutes of noise can be appropriate also?
    The way I describe it to people is " when you are awake , there are asleep ". The things we understand in many ways are reversed here.

Thats not so say that silent dedication is never a sign of respect BUT having lived in Northern China, the countryside areas, noise is used for everything ESPECIALLY funerary rites. In our town it was like living in Baghdad - explosions everywhere for funerals, weddings, digging a hole in the ground ( true !! ) and just saying hallo or goodbye after / before a long trip.

Funerals also come with a lot of drum beating and gong bashing - so the horn thing , considering most people in the Shenzhen are from countryside areas anyway, would not be unexpected.

I have just watched the news highlights with train horns and boat sirens used - so maybe a signal thing also.
    I am surprised that a previous comment from a Chinese national suggested otherwise.
    Last edited by Boris; 19-05-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudybay:
    Chinese government is loaded with $$$--try US$1.7 trillion! They are probably richer than any other government on earth and yet they turned down offers on sniff dogs and expert recusers from various countries and invited cash donations instead. Where is all that dough going is what I'd like to know.
    I thought they had welcomed overseas help and experts - certainly saw Japanese rescuers there

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudybay:
    I remember years ago when China suffered a natural (could have been man-made) disaster and then the Beijing government refused blankets, tents, water, etc. and demanded cash only - so it could buy the blankets, tents, water, etc. itself from, I guess, itself!