What kind of insect is this?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by zenlogo:
    Permethrin is a neurotoxin and a carcinogen. In larger doses it can be toxic to cats which can become ill or die after being given flea treatments intended for dogs, or after contact with dogs who have recently been treated with permethrin. It is especially toxic to fish and will kill some species in as little as 1 part per billion. Yes people use it anyways. Non-toxic?... not something I would want to spread around my home.
    Sounds like someone is a wiki addict

It's pretty much completely non toxic to mammals. Cats can be susceptible, but not in low concentrations (Biokill is 0.25% w/v). It is extremely toxic to fish (and insects) but I don't have fish (but I do have insects) so there you go.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by zenlogo:
    "Sounds like someone is a wiki addict"

Actually as a merchandising manager for Home Depot in Canada for 10 years, I was a trained and licensed dispenser of pesticides (and herbicides and rodenticides and other "cides")
    I've always been amazed that people are willing to sprinkle known neurotoxins into their home to deal with a minor bug issue.

Non-toxic? Maybe you should read this summary of 108 scientific studies:
    http://www.endocrinedisruption.com/f...permethrin.pdf

You could also google the EPA and other sources other than your trusty BioKill label. Whatever...
    Thanks for posting that PDF, it pretty much proves my point. It is almost completely non-absorbable in adult humans, and that's in much higher concentrations than 0.25%.

I always welcome more information, and I appreciate your contribution. However, I suggest that you read this stuff yourself, if you are going to share your opinions on these things.

deleteduser

Maybe you've spent a bit too much time around all those "icides"

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Would it not be quicker to switch the light out first?
    I actually thought about that, but it's not nice to stand in total darkness with termintes all over the place...

Also, the moment you switch off the light they calm down, shed their wings and start crawling. As long as there was a source of light they continued to circle it, and I could catch them more easily.

Close the windows.....HK is in the subtropical area, we surely have lots of different insects - especially before the rainy days. They're attracted to lightings too. I live in Aberdeen and I got tons of different species every night, I can show my collection.

u will always see them just before it rains, locals call them wild ants (translated from chinese into english). harmless they are.