Illegal Foreign Domestic Helper

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Illegal Foreign Domestic Helper

Does anyone know the legal ramifications of hiring a live-out, part-time foreign domestic helper in Hong Kong?

I have heard so many times that it is illegal...but does anyone know what happens to you (or the FDH) if you get in trouble?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Fine and or prison sentence for you and the helper.

You'll be let off with a fine. But remember they could cause trouble for you if you sack them. Although they may risk deportation themselves but you must of done something terrible for them to call report you.

It's a common practice, but you can avoid the risks by using a maid service.

Quote Originally Posted by TS888:
    It's a common practice, but you can avoid the risks by using a maid service.
    Hi can you please recommend a good maid service?
    What is the going rate for them? Do they charge hourly?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by henryhg:
    Hi can you please recommend a good maid service?
    What is the going rate for them? Do they charge hourly?

Thanks.
    what he said!

am fed up spending my weekends cleaning and ironing!

Quote Originally Posted by jondoeusa2:
    You'll be let off with a fine. But remember they could cause trouble for you if you sack them. Although they may risk deportation themselves but you must of done something terrible for them to call report you.
    You know the fine is up to $350,000HKD for the illegal employer upon a first offence, with automatic jail time issued ? It's deeply frowned upon by HK's judiciary, and if the OP lives on the Peak, I would have expected a lot more common sense.

If they are caught, they'll also have their visa revoked and be deported upon release from prison.

Is it really worth breaking such a serious law ?

Merry Maids or any number of other maid services found in the HK Yellow Pages can provide you a legit local service, why end up in a shed load of trouble ?
    Last edited by Skyhook; 04-06-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Old thread alert but a question that keeps coming up.

There are many part-time live out helpers in HK. Their number is growing especially as many who had Western employers (who have now left HK) were released but still have unexpired contracts. They tend to have a half dozen or so jobs on the go at once so unless you invite one to stay in your home you are unlikely to be the only one to get into trouble (the other employers will as well).

In my experience, however, any trouble you encounter will be as result of the helper falling out with another girl over money and the other helper reporting the girl. Do not in any circumstances employ a girl who has no visa (effectively an overstayer). Some of the girls who tell you they 'live out' have effectively overstayed.

The way I get around this is to come to an arrangement with a friend who has a legal helper to let their helper do my laundry/ironing on the employer's premises. I give the employer extra money which he gives to the girl as part of her salary over and above the norm.

Can't help with the cleaning, I'm afraid. Maybe you just have to do that yourself! HK apartments are small. It doesn't take long.

What level of proof is needed of "employment". If there is no contract and it's cash-in-hand - how do the authorities prove anything?

I've asked this before, and got no reply, but...

Does anyone have any first or second-hand experience of an expat actually having trouble with the authorities for employing a part-time helper? Most of my friends do it and I've certainly never heard of any problems at all.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast