Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By INXS
  • 1 Post By si0001

Chinese Driving License

Closed Thread

Chinese Driving License

Dear all,

I've just applied for my HK driving license and hope to transfer to a China license asap. I refer to the link below re: application for mainland driving license; "Any Hong Kong residents holding a valid full Hong Kong driving licence can apply for the direct issue of the Mainland driving licence for private car from the Guangdong Public Security Bureau.
    You must apply in person at the licensing counter of any of the designated Vehicle Control Offices in Guangdong Province."
    http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/trans...xb_driving.htm

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had done this and could proffer some information about how they went about it? I read somewhere else that I may have to get a resident permit for Shenzhen (which would be hard for me), although that information was a bit fuzzy. I have residency here, although it is not yet permanent.

Any help would be much appreciated!

The easiest way is with Hong Kong School of Motoring.

They will take you on a day trip to Guangdong and sort it out for about 4k...

Richey likes this.

I got this done a few months ago in Guangzhou. I needed to have a resident's permit in GZ in order to apply, and took a bit of running around to get it done. You also need a medical cert from a hospital and some photos (not standard passport size).

I did this all myself (with the GF) but in hindsight, it's probably easier to use one of the driving schools.

Hi si0001,

I got a quote from the driving schools and they're charging several thousand over what I'd like to pay and an extortionate amount for the admin in general. I have the luxury of time at the moment so am willing to do the legwork myself. I was wondering if you could tell me how you went about getting the residents permit for GZ (I'm assuming you are HK based). I read somewhere else that it may be possible to do through a hotel, but I'd be interested to hear your experience if possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richey:
    Hi si0001,

I got a quote from the driving schools and they're charging several thousand over what I'd like to pay and an extortionate amount for the admin in general. I have the luxury of time at the moment so am willing to do the legwork myself. I was wondering if you could tell me how you went about getting the residents permit for GZ (I'm assuming you are HK based). I read somewhere else that it may be possible to do through a hotel, but I'd be interested to hear your experience if possible.

Thanks
    several thousands dollars as expensive, only a few years ago, you had to pay tens of thousands for china driving licence/cross border plate!, probably still have to pay some corrupt govt official still

Quote Originally Posted by Richey:
    Hi si0001,

Thanks
    I actually rent a place in GZ as I stay there on weekends with the GF. What I had to do was:

1. Take the rental agreement/lease to the district's admin office (not really sure what this is called in english)
    2. They will issue you with a letter which you take to the local police station and issue you with a letter confirming your residency.
    3. Take this letter along with your medical cert, photos, application form, Hong Kong license, HKID to the licencing office.

The most important thing though is to have a local with you to do all this. If it wasn't for my GF who is from GZ, I would not have been able to do all this myself.
    Richey likes this.

Si, what was the total cost on China side?

Thanks

I did some research, seems you can get the same form from some hotels mentioned by si, Some kind of temporary residence form. or a fake lease from shenzhen friend will do. So it is just a few hundred HK$ (including hotel and transportation) and two trips to Shenzhen.

Last edited by forgetmenot; 31-08-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Yes, excluding your travel costs to and from china, the total cost was nominal. Can't remember the exact amount but it was just the cost of the medical (under 50rmb), the photos (a hundred or so) and the application fee (a couple hundred).