Like Tree11Likes

Foreigners image of HK people communication style

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Truth be told, some of his points are actually not that far off-the-mark, but the way he presented it is so extreme it makes the listener lose focus and only latch onto his "dog" comment.
    Hmm which point exactly, I'm curious? His opening rant on calling Cantonese not a language is already uber-facepalm...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Hmm which point exactly, I'm curious? His opening rant on calling Cantonese not a language is already uber-facepalm...
    Not that point obviously, but the fact that some locals do have a colonial mentality.
    Not that anyone would pay attention to that since he use such extreme language.

I started to answer your questionnaire, but it's a bit difficult. Half your questions follow the question "Do you know the Japanese concept of honne-tatemae? *" If my answer to that one is "No" there is nothing else I can answer, and yet I can't submit your form if I don't answer all questions. This means that only those who answer "yes" can answer your questionnaire. If your questionnaire is only for people who know what "honne-tatemae" is, then you should say so at the beginning, so people don't waste their time on the first part.

Also, what on earth does "Hong Kong's people do not refuse others’ requests *" and "Hong Kong's people speak indirectly *" mean? You should give some examples, or explain the question, as different interviewees might interpret the questions differently.

These are major flows of your questionnaire. Please have your supervisor review your questionnaire...

Good luck.

Last edited by cheepo; 09-09-2013 at 09:40 AM.

sorry for the unclear explanation, although i have explain the concept at the first part of the survey, let me give a example, my point of "Do you know the honne tatemae concept ", is talking about do you know Japanese speak very polite and humble, and not their real thinking while facing public, colleague , boss, teacher, who are not really close as family member or best friends or because the person is elder than them?They even try to tell you lie or speak very indirectly to tell you that they actually don't want to talk with you.
    this kind of indirect always make foreigners confused and misunderstand Japanese real intention.
    And this is what i mean "indirect" , so i ask in the survey if you feel the same while having interact with HK people.

PS: if you have no comment on some questions part, just type in NO COMMENT/ DO NOT KNOW, will be great.

Thank you for your understanding and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Don't know how relevant this is to the OP, but I sometimes find Japanese people hard to read as a foreigner. They are almost always polite and courteous in front of you but they might be cursing you behind your back. You just can't know what they really think sometimes, which can be frustrating if you don't know the culture or people well.

Whereas in Hong Kong, you get less of that problem.
    Yea, this is how i feel after all these years.
    although they may say its good, or they say they would love to go out for dinner etc,
    never take it serious, those are just speak for politeness...
    "cursing you behind your back" always happens especially you are foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by ow21490:
    I can understand that when they say "no". actually them mean they don't understand your language or they are just too afraid to speak out in English.
    In japan, the situation is more worse, even if you speak Japanese,(and you have a expats face)
    they refuse to try to understand the language come out from your mouth.
    That happens here too. Sometimes, for example, when I get into a taxi and ask to be taken somewhere in Cantonese I get a blank look because they're not expecting me to speak in fairly fluent Cantonese....so I repeat myself and then it clicks

Same here than I ask again, than ask why the hell do you not speak English first to me if you didn't want me to speak to you in Cantonese.....