Like Tree23Likes

Still a Colony..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the worst analogy ever.
    Presumably you and closedcasket are using the same (but different to everyone else) dictionary to define the word 'colony'. Please feel free to enthrall us with your, I'm sure, fascinating explanation of why Hong Kong could now be described as a colony now that the colonisers (The British) have left and returned the territory to China to whom it belongs.

Your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Presumably you and closedcasket are using the same (but different to everyone else) dictionary to define the word 'colony'. Please feel free to enthrall us with your, I'm sure, fascinating explanation of why Hong Kong could now be described as a colony now that the colonisers (The British) have left and returned the territory to China to whom it belongs.

Your turn.
    Definition of a Colony:

a country or area or region or district under the full or partial political control of another country

Is Hong Kong SAR a region?

Is Hong Kong SAR under the full or partial control of China (China)?

Back to you!
    Gatts likes this.

Your turn.
    No single HK person had any say in the switch from Brit to Chinese sovereignty, back to you.
    closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Definition of a Colony:

a country or area or region or district under the full or partial political control of another country

Is Hong Kong SAR a region?

Is Hong Kong SAR under the full or partial control of China (China)?

Back to you!
    It doesn't make sense. Hong Kong is not distinct from China...it is an integral part of China. It is not a colony. If you used your definition then Sydney is a colony of Australia.

No single HK person had any say in the switch from Brit to Chinese sovereignty, back to you.
    I own a block of apartments.

My friend needs an office so I let him use one of the apartments with sitting tenants. It makes more sense if he acts as landlord while he's there...when he leaves, the sitting tenants start to demand that it's their apartment now!!

Meh! I say! You're just an apartment in my block...shut your mouth and I won't send the re decorators in.

It doesn't make sense. Hong Kong is not distinct from China...it is an integral part of China. It is not a colony. If you used your definition then Sydney is a colony of Australia.
    Hong Kong is not distinct from China?? How long have you lived here?

I gave you the dictionary definition. You can apply it however you wish.

An area or region is a bit subjective....but surely you can see the difference between Hong Kong and Syndey? Hong Kong has its own currency, stock market, rule of law, systems, drives on different side of road, different language, culture and a border that is enforced. Yet...Hong Kong is controlled by China!

Sydney has no border control separate from Oz, no different currency or language.

No comparison.

By all measures, Hong Kong fits the definition of a colony.

Back to you chief!
    Last edited by closedcasket; 14-09-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Gatts likes this.

wait, what? like anyone here had any say when the biggest drug dealer in the world used military force to switch sovereignty of HK to UK before? people back then voted to separate from Qing to join UK? WTH?

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Hong Kong is not distinct from China?? How long have you lived here?

I gave you the dictionary definition. You can apply it however you wish.

An area or region is a bit subjective....but surely you can see the difference between Hong Kong and Syndey? Hong Kong has its own currency, stock market, rule of law, systems, drives on different side of road, different language, culture and a border that is enforced. Yet...Hong Kong is controlled by China!
    Duhhh... because it is a City within China and is part of China!
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    wait, what? like anyone here had any say when the biggest drug dealer in the world used military force to switch sovereignty of HK to UK before? people back then voted to separate from Qing to join UK? WTH?
    Wait what? Despicable as the Brits and other nations were during those days, HK was just a slab of sand, with hardly any people there. It grew out to be a prosperous and stable society of 7 million people with a melting pot culture of its own, vastly different to the chaos and turmoil of China.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Duhhh... because it is a City within China and is part of China!
    Hmm didnt know there was also a city called HK somewhere within China, only heard of the SAR weird.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast