Like Tree1Likes

Small claims tribunal problem

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small claims tribunal problem

I have had letters coming to my flat pretty much since I moved in for a guy that I'm fairly sure has never lived here (certaily not in the 12 months before me).

These letters were invoices for hospital treatment, some occasions are fairly recent. Now I have recieved a letter for a small claims tribunal appearance.

I originally called the hospital but they obviously did nothing about it. This normally wouldn't bother me but I have been knocked back for a credit card for the second time and the only thing I can think of is that my address is linked up to this guy, so my credit score is affected.

Firstly, is my address a factor in application for a credit card? Secondly, how do I deal with this letter?

Did the rejection letter from the credit card company allow you to request your credit report or can you follow up with the bank and ask them why you've been rejected (other than the obvious two - already got too many credit cards and too many applications in a short period of time).

I agree with zenlogo - you should not even be opening these letters, just mark them as "not at this address" or something like that and drop them back in the postbox.

You can get your credit report checked at TransUnion. A single report will cost $150HK.

Check their website.

You can then challenge anything in it if it is wrong.

I am not familiar with HK Small Claims, however, I 'd be surprised if you have to appear if your name is not on the documents. If your name is on the documents you'd best get to TransUnion ASAP as someone might be doing bad things to you. That is, if you have any credit or payment transactions locally that member businesses would be reporting to them.

Last edited by Football16; 25-05-2008 at 11:21 PM.

The identification of a person in Credit Report is by HKID, Passport #, not address.

It's easy to handle this matter, according to HK Post,

How to Handle A Mail Item Which is Not For You?

i) "No such person" when there is no such person at the receiver's address;
    ii) "Moved" and the forwarding address, if known, when the addressee has moved out; or
    iii) "Incorrect location" when receiving a wrongly delivered mail item.

And return it to Hongkong Post through

* Dropping it in any street posting box;
    * Handing it over to counter staff at any post office; or
    * Dropping it in the Return Letter Box set up by the building management, if any.

Firstly, I did the 'return to sender, not at this address' thing for literally MONTHS. I realise that this mail is not for me but I thought it best to finally open one so that I could contact the sender and explain that the person wasn't at this address anymore and I was getting letters every other day from the same place.

Secondly, why should I stand by and let someone use my address as a front for some scam?

Thanks for advice about checking my credit situation Football16, I'll check out the website and try to figure what else it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by clarence_kwan_h:
    The identification of a person in Credit Report is by HKID, Passport #, not address.

It's easy to handle this matter, according to HK Post,

How to Handle A Mail Item Which is Not For You?

i) "No such person" when there is no such person at the receiver's address;
    ii) "Moved" and the forwarding address, if known, when the addressee has moved out; or
    iii) "Incorrect location" when receiving a wrongly delivered mail item.

And return it to Hongkong Post through

* Dropping it in any street posting box;
    * Handing it over to counter staff at any post office; or
    * Dropping it in the Return Letter Box set up by the building management, if any.
    Clarence... you may have misread my post. My advice was for this poster to check their own credit record to ensure that he/she is not getting bad credit reports due to some miscreant's shenigans.

If you are being refused credit or credit cards, checking what the credit bureau has on file is a small price for making sure you are not being wrongly treated due to actions of others.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Check out TransUnion website for all the details but they offer an option to get your personal report for a small fee on a single or multi-time basis and you have rights to dispute information/get it corrected. It is typically one of a credit bureau's the marketing strategies to have individuals request their reports for a small fee.
    Last edited by Football16; 29-05-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Opening someone else's mail for any reason is illegal in many countries. I'd leave well enough alone. Lots of people get mail for others in HK but it should never be opened, even if it's a nuisance.

I have to say I agree with the OP - if s/he has been returning mail for months and it keeps coming, I think I would have opened it too and tried to fix the problem!

how does the mail get into your box? I just ask because perhaps there is a guard or postman you can speak to, to stop getting it given to you? I realise this does not solve the underlying problem, but it might at least make you feel better if you don't keep getting inundated with letters!

I agree with the others - check your own credit rating and make sure this is not affecting you. If it is, then I can understand why you would want to try and fix it; if not, just find a way to stop the mail arriving in your box (as above) or keep putting it back in the post..... what a pain!

You can't stop the Post Office delivering mail into your mailbox... I think there's an ordinance about this. So the guard probably wouldn't be able to help.

I get the same thing, wrongly named mail delivered over and over again, and no matter how many times I return it, new stuff keeps coming. Eventually I throw it away.

Dorrmen, postmen, guards won't and can't stop mail delivery! You must contact the post office which handles your mail to stop the unwanted mail. Once your local post office receives your request, it will enter it into the computer and presumably all future letters/mail addressed to that person will be returned. But then of course, there is no guarantee that it will work flawlessly from knowing how efficient the post office is.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast