Like Tree167Likes

What were ur biggest fears re: moving to HK? Are mine justified?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Yea I think this is another way to go about life for us at this point. It'll be earlier than we anticipated of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I think you should open your mind to life a little.

The one and only person I know here who came as a wife who had an amazing, highly specialized career back home, and who cannot continue that career in HK because they don't have the specialized sciences here, has decided to take a completely different direction in her life and is now focusing on her interest in sports.

It's entirely up to you if you become useless or not.
    Exactly! The OP is young now but if she defines usefulness as paid employment she's going to come down with a hell of a bang later in life. I coach rugby for free on a Sunday and I consider that to have equal value to my paid teaching work...
    Elegiaque and HK2A430 like this.

i think the OP will have a hard time adjusting to life here. was making about the same level as she is back in the states. now making half of what i was making. not leading a team now either. speak middle school level mandarin as well. you will have to learn what life is really about first. it's not about money or job. taking me a heck of a time to get used to, but it's getting there.

Elegiaque, cheepo, shenwen and 3 others like this.

no reason why you can't find a job in HK, but are you willing to take a pay cut if necessary as you still want to maintain your career? lifestyle wise, where do you plan to live? so high end places in sone parts of hk island or tst can be so materialistic ( the people who live there not the actual residence), ie, elitism and self perceived snobbery esp, or would your prefer a down to earth place or even rural/resort residential places?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    no reason why you can't find a job in HK, but are you willing to take a pay cut if necessary as you still want to maintain your career? lifestyle wise, where do you plan to live? so high end places in sone parts of hk island or tst can be so materialistic ( the people who live there not the actual residence), ie, elitism and self perceived snobbery esp, or would your prefer a down to earth place or even rural/resort residential places?
    I would be ok with a pay cut, even a steep one. I think security is really important to me and even a high earning significant other is not enough security for me because it's not me who is doing the earning. This is probably a function of growing up with parents who had money issues.

Yea unfortunately I am not the sole decision maker re: what neighborhood, probably central somewhere.
    auss likes this.

Was talking to someone about this just yesterday. Living in HK involves a series of compromises. How you manage those compromises determines just how much pleasure you will get out of living here.

INXS and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks:
    I would be ok with a pay cut, even a steep one. I think security is really important to me and even a high earning significant other is not enough security for me because it's not me who is doing the earning. This is probably a function of growing up with parents who had money issues.

Yea unfortunately I am not the sole decision maker re: what neighborhood, probably central somewhere.
    you and your spouse have to decide what's best for you, a lot of hk jobs have security and not contracted for a period of time, If you and your spouse will be close to central, be prepared for an apartment significantly smaller than you have in US and owning a car is an expensive premium, however, you will be where the action is, great parties and nightlife until it really starts to bother you
    Grumbler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you and your spouse have to decide what's best for you, a lot of hk jobs have security and not contracted for a period of time, If you and your spouse will be close to central, be prepared for an apartment significantly smaller than you have in US and owning a car is an expensive premium, however, you will be where the action is, great parties and nightlife until it really starts to bother you
    lol, yeah. forgot about small apartments. the first thing i thought to myself after entering harbour front after arriving from the airport was, "shit, what have i gotten myself into?". something like that. my buddy bought a 7000+ mansion back home and we live in a tiny box of 700. and that's not even the actual size either. so many details i didn't even think about before moving here. the OP at least is thinking about more than i did. all i thought about before i left was, how do i watch football in HK?

Hey, so how do you watch football in HK?

ha yea i'm a ball of anxiety and stress

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast