Dinner on SAMPAN by the bay(Just like the 80's HK TV show):D[B][/B]

Closed Thread

Dinner on SAMPAN by the bay(Just like the 80's HK TV show):D[B][/B]

Hello, I've organised for a unique dinner on Sampan by the bay of Causeway Bay tomorrow evening, feel free to join us?

Well, for those who are not familiar with the food history in Hong Kong, you might not have a clue abt what is sampan to do with dinner Alright, Many years back, there used to be have quite a number of boatnik live on the sampan by the bays in HK. And those floating families were not only lived on the boat but also made their living on the boat.
    They used to have floating sampan communities, where they cooked, served, some sang and played instruments as entertainment for their guest on their sampan at night.
    But later the HK government had banned their activities, as a precaution measure to "reduce water pollution" I was shocked when i found out abt that when I first arrived in HK...Anyway, recently (in fact abt 2 years ago), the HK government had decided to give them another chance to restart their business by implying stricter rules on the hygience standard.
    So far, only one family managed to re-set up his sampan restaurant business. And I've personally been there twice:nod::nod: yum yum yummmm!! It has always been amazing eat out experience for me.
    But only 2 tricky things that makes it hard for the foreigner to try out the experience.
    1. Ones need to call to make appoinment in advance and the person on the other end are not always available to be reached by mobile phone.
    2. She only speaks Cantonese. And u also need to speak Cantonese in order to order for the food, because there is no menu available onboard

However, I'd booked for our dinner tomorrow.
    So much for the info, leave me a msg if u are keen for the unique local dining experience=)
    xx

ps : no i don't work for them =p I am just a massive culture+food lover!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo':
    :nod::nod: yum yum yummmm!!
    Out of interest, how old are you?

I can't really see why instant noodles will be better when made on a sampan.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I can't really see why instant noodles will be better when made on a sampan.
    You get crap floating by you just inches away, everything tastes better!!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Err... vintage 81 =) nope. Instant noodles were meant for gweilo who doesn't know what is good food...Alright at least for new kids in town.
    It's a proper fine Seafood dinner with easily 5-6dishes served (depends on what u've ordered)
    Oh Well, just a courtesy gesture to offer. We properly have more food for ourselves with less ppl on sampan =p