Like Tree23Likes

Abuse of Indonesian Maid.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Easier said than done. If an FDH reports something, they are basically fcuked in terms of staying in HK and actually earning a living, which they need to support their families back home.
    Exactly right. The laws are intentionally designed so the maids can NOT report abuses...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    No one should come on here to gripe about abuse unless you are prepared to get off your fucking arse and do something!

If you suspect an FDH is being abused, PLEASE report it! FDHs have rights under the law. Either you can do what you can to make sure those rights are upheld, or you can turn a blind eye. Your choice. Your conscience.
    It's not clear cut. Many will be blacklisted, cannot get a recommendation from their previous employer (which is required), 14 days to return to home country.

Indonesians by law need to exit HK while processing for a new employer and this usually takes 3 months. In that time many go to Macau and are 'housed' in dorms at the agent's expense. Usually they have to pay the agent 3,000 a month for this (which they don't have) and then have to pay back the agent when they start working again (as well as other fees).

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    In that time many go to Macau and are 'housed' in dorms at the agent's expense. Usually they have to pay the agent 3,000 a month for this (which they don't have) and then have to pay back the agent when they start working again (as well as other fees).
    Forced prostitution works in a similar way.

It's interesting to see that some laws specifically do not apply to FDH - minimum wage and immigration law i.e.

Im not sure she even meant to exaggerate necessarily. I mean put yourself in her shoes, its difficult I know, but try.

Day in day out, week in week out month in month out absolute misery, beating up, terrorised and treated like refuse. You're not going to know the beginning or the end of what you went through, you're not. Like an extended breakdown your mind running around in your head. Trying to think straight is a difficult option. Maybe as a woman from Indonesia you end up committing to it even, no one honestly back home knows what its like but expects you to see it through. Debts to be paid just to be here, children to feed back home. If you walk out will you go back and never get another job......

Thinking clearly is going to be almost impossible in the clear harsh light of day when its all over too but you've stopped denial and started asking yourself questions about what all happened. Will they believe me? Will those B****rds lie their way out of it, like they most certainly tried. Can I make myself believable what will it take?

Probably there is some truth to even her exaggerations, it's just not pertinent quite honestly.

I think they got off lightly.

can anyone pdf print that article and email it to me ?

i cant access that page

Quote Originally Posted by enrfvays:
    can anyone pdf print that article and email it to me ?

i cant access that page
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/s....php?p=2566501

Sent from my Nexus 4 using GeoClicks mobile app

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    It's not clear cut. Many will be blacklisted, cannot get a recommendation from their previous employer (which is required), 14 days to return to home country.

Indonesians by law need to exit HK while processing for a new employer and this usually takes 3 months. In that time many go to Macau and are 'housed' in dorms at the agent's expense. Usually they have to pay the agent 3,000 a month for this (which they don't have) and then have to pay back the agent when they start working again (as well as other fees).
    If the FDH is being physically abused and you can see signs of that abuse, you won't report it?

If the FDH is being physically abused and you can see signs of that abuse, you won't report it?
    I think you will tread a fine line if you did without consultation with the FDH.

As we know the HK Govt won't protect them fully so by reporting it may not necessarily help.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I think you will tread a fine line if you did without consultation with the FDH.

As we know the HK Govt won't protect them fully so by reporting it may not necessarily help.
    If you can't talk to the FDH, you ignore the situation? I'm trying to find where you draw that line.

If you can't talk to the FDH, you ignore the situation? I'm trying to find where you draw that line.
    Well, if you see a crime has been committed then of course you report it but it's not your life to command. You can help but you can't make their decisions for them. I would say you don't stop and pick up every beggar and take them home to give shelter and food because they are on hard times.

I'm on your side on this. I would love more reporting but as I mentioned the govt doesn't protect already and wash their hands of any 'real' protection under labour laws.

I would like to see stronger protection from the govt and better education for FDH's to know what to do in a situation when it arises as many don't know what to do or too scared.