Like Tree284Likes

Super Typhoon USAGI

Closed Thread
Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast
  1. #341

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I wonder what words you're keeping in reserve for storms that do more than knock over your flowerpots?
    You see, that's the thing. The wind where you are at may only be strong enough to knock over your flower pots, but where I or he maybe, the wind may be a bit stronger than just causing overturned flowerpots. Remember, wind condition is different for different parts of the city due to geographical condition and also wind direction. You can have parts of the city with almost no wind and another part of the city blowing gale.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 22-09-2013 at 10:49 PM.

  2. #342

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    You see, that's the thing. The wind where you are at may only be strong enough to knock over your flower pots, but where I or he maybe, the wind may be stronger than just causing overturned flowerpots. Remember, wind condition is different for different parts of the city due to geographical condition.
    And when you have been in Trafalgar all day your observation skills may be blunted
    Watercooler likes this.

  3. #343

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    θ–„ζ‰Άζž—
    Posts
    48,312

    Very windy here in Pokfulam... More so than your usual T8


  4. #344

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I wonder what words you're keeping in reserve for storms that do more than knock over your flowerpots?
    Let's compare notes in the morning. You live in Mid-levels mate, many of us live in villages that have trees and are at the foot of mountains...my commentary isn't for you.

    FYI, my 'flowerpots' are about 1.5 feet tall, weigh around 80/90 kilograms including soil and palm trees...

  5. #345

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    I am assuming he was quoting from HKO or somewhere.

    What I find amazing is the difference across HK, which is really quite a small place (though I understand the hills will have a lot to do with that).
    Quoting from Pacific Storms...

  6. #346

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,454

    So why no T9 or 10? It's much windier than that T8 in August.


  7. #347

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,821
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    I am assuming he was quoting from HKO or somewhere.
    That's probably what he wants you to think, but the words "very dangerous cyclone" do not appear there anywhere that I can see.

    I grew up on the south coast of the UK (which is by no means its windiest area) where the sort of windspeeds quoted were reasonably frequent events, and wouldn't generally stop people going about their business. When the gusts get above about 110km/h then it starts to be come a bit more unusual.
    TheBrit and bibbju like this.

  8. #348

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,110

    If you look at the radar imagery from the HKO site, NT (and especially northern NT) will bear the brunt of the storm in HK, as the edge of the eyewall is actually reaching into those parts of the city.


  9. #349

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    That's probably what he wants you to think, but the words "very dangerous cyclone" do not appear there anywhere that I can see.

    I grew up on the south coast of the UK (which is by no means its windiest area) where the sort of windspeeds quoted were reasonably frequent events, and wouldn't generally stop people going about their business. When the gusts get above about 110km/h then it starts to be come a bit more unusual.
    If you check back tomorrow, I get the feeling the gust in HK can be above 110 km/h in some parts of the city.

  10. #350

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,154

    Strong winds banging on my windows for at least an hour now, and it's getting worse (Yuen Long area)


Closed Thread
Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast