Like Tree284Likes

Super Typhoon USAGI

Closed Thread
Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    It still astonishes me that the Brits out here think that a typhoon is just another excuse to get wasted at the pub with the premier league playin on the idiot box.

I never saw folks back in Australia get excited when an aproaching storm surge, flood, or bush fire was about to land in their direction. People generally did what was needed to minimize loss of life, grabbing the essentials and getting to the evac shelter in their municipality within time.

I find the lack of common sense and fool hardy dutch courage out here, at times, pretty sad. Your time will come, when that luck runs out.

Early warning systems save lives, and require the majority of the populous to work together when dangerous weather is anticipated. In my opinion its better to take it seriously, than to not.
    Strange comment as you never miss a chance to tell us all about your own magnificent AV system ("Idiot screen"?)

Quote Originally Posted by nassaugirl:
    I agree with this. Having seen the absolute destruction these storms can cause, I am always amazed that people are upset that we didn't get smashed. People are incredibly complacent here.
    Exactly! I was back in London in May thinking about how the HKers would react if there was a bomb scare on the MTR....

Any smart cookie would have invested in shares from Wellcome or Parknshop just as everyone was emptying out the shelves....

Again, Harry comes up with the goods. Can't help but agree somewhat with his viewpoint

Gruntfuttock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by d-28:
    This is all very much a storm in a tea cup
    I prefer to warm in a D-cup
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Exactly! I was back in London in May thinking about how the HKers would react if there was a bomb scare on the MTR...
    I can't speculate on HK-ers reaction, but here are two examples of rather bizarre consequences (both arson attacks, not bomb scares)

1. The arsonist that set fire to Immigration Tower in 2000 protesting for his right of abode in Hong Kong, killing 2 people and injuring 44 is rewarded with permanent residency
    http://badcanto.wordpress.com/2013/0...ong-residency/
    2. An arson attack on the MTR (I believe in 2001) results in a ban of bicycles on public transport (MTR and busses)
    Watercooler and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Given all the arguing here, I am sure watercooler won't have digestion problems today
    I'm looking forward to any "Typhoon Tea Activity" if anyone plan on arranging one next time a typhoon comes.

I heard 35 people died in China

Quote Originally Posted by d-28:
    I heard 35 people died in China
    in asia as far i understand (25 in china)… but anyway …it was a nasty one and even though HK is well prepared and has a good warning system (although for some it is apparently too conservative…) it is good we avoided the direct hit.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    On the contrary, I do agree with Closedcasket and INXS quite often, TB, maybe less so.
    And strangely enough I usually agree with the Brit, even if he is British...

And really I have no real problem with INXS or anyone else. The only one who really bugs me is Mat
    Last edited by closedcasket; 23-09-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    And strangely enough I usually agree with the Brit, even if he is British...

And really I have no real problem with INXS or anyone else. The only one who really bugs me is Mat
    You are welcome!

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Closed Thread
Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast