Like Tree284Likes

Super Typhoon USAGI

Closed Thread
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Nah you don't. You like some more than others. When you have requested help/advice using this forum, you've got it no questions asked.

I will agree with you that more than a few posters live under a do as I say, not as I do position, which doesnt sit well with me either.

Doesnt mean Im hatin on people like that, but I wouldnt invest any trust with people like that. Is that what ya mean ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app
    You're probably right...that said I have also had help and given help to particular posters that I often am at loggerheads with...I mean real world help. For example, I had some questions about investing once and DeletedUser took the time to give me a lot of helpful information and point me in the right direction.

I remember years ago I had a neighbour who I didn't see eye to eye with, and the feeling was mutual! ...one day I saw a lorry knock his wing mirror off...I ran to his door and he had chance to run out and catch the guy.

There isn't a single member on Geoexpat that I would not help out if I could.

Most over hyped storm since records began. I had people phoning me up as far away as Colombia asking if we were ok.

My pot plant fell over.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    Most over hyped storm since records began. I had people phoning me up as far away as Colombia asking if we were ok.

My pot plant fell over.
    (No 2 on this thread)
    MovingIn07 and Mat like this.

My pot plant fell over.
    25 dead in china and 2 people dead in Philippines over-hyped news. do want the numbers for the death toll to reach three or four figures to deemed big news to u
    INXS, Natfixit and Watercooler like this.

If it can be useful for some kind of weird comfort, in the same day died 186 people in China and 54 in the Phillippines for "traffic-related" accidents. And that goes on each day of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by alfeno:
    If it can be useful for some kind of weird comfort, in the same day died 186 people in China and 54 in the Phillippines for "traffic-related" accidents. And that goes on each day of the year...
    We'll it doesn't give any comfort and is not relevant in any way. Even if people dying of other causes were somehow comforting why compare the death rates of whole countries? Society accepts the risk posed by driving because of the benefits....what benefits do typhoons bring.

Thanks for posting. :-)
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alfeno:
    The thread that just keeps on giving...

Now were at the point of worthy and unworthy deaths.

Kind of actuarial and cold. You can argue that each day 150,000 people in the world die.

The point of the thread (and the call for caution and being well informed) is to prevent even one unnecessary death in HK-- family, friends, country women and men-- the community of GeoExpats included. But if even that one death touches you or your community, it hurts. And good people move heaven and earth to protect their own.

Maybe it's just me, but that feels worthy.

What gets me is that there's even a group that is concerned that other people overly "care" about others and a natural disaster event. One that could frighten others, especially new expats who have not been through it before in HK. One that if a direct hit did happen, not only would be inconvenient for days or weeks to come, but could actually be deadly and destructive.

What's the big deal that people are concerned or worried about uncertainty and danger? Why should you denigrate others who are concerned about a destructive force such as a typhoon? Better to be safe than sorry, and what's it to you (if you don't care anyways)?

If you don't care, then fine. Don't care and state your opinion that you think it's nothing to be worried about. Suggesting other people are "crying wolf" or hyper-sensitive is just baiting and internet bravado. And all for the wrong reasons, too. Find some other topic to flex your muscles.

In fact, there's just too much crying about "sensibilities" being hurt because the storm was "proven" to be a dud. Like you are some grand omniscient forecaster of weather and heavenly chance. There are many who may live in village houses, on the shoreline, in boats or have their property which they worked for all their lives destroyed. And God forbid something happen to their loved ones or friends.

As a community, we really should be thanking those that informed and waved the caution flag for Usagi. Rather than making them the butt of a joke.

For those who rightly sounded the alarm on Usagi, more power to you. You're good neighbors. Thank you.
    Last edited by Yeahbaby; 25-09-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Mat and Watercooler like this.

My pot plant fell over.

I understood you. You must be careful on this site..people tend to take what you write very literally....

Of course the storm was over hyped... But that's not to say anyone did anything wrong, or that it wasn't a terrible storm for some people.

It just didn't live up to what was being reported, I agree with your statement

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    25 dead in china and 2 people dead in Philippines over-hyped news. do want the numbers for the death toll to reach three or four figures to deemed big news to u
    The term overhyped has to be taken in context. Relative to what was being reported, YES this storm was overhyped.

News agencies across the world were reporting this as some super storm of the century. I had people calling me from over 10 different countries.. Worried about me.

Though still tragic for many, this storm did NOT live up to its media hype. Thus the term overhype

My pot plant fell over.
    It was not over hyped. Just because the wind took a last minute turn doesn't negate the fact that it was not real! Although HK is better equipped then most places, a direct hit will nevertheless have been extremely dangerous and potentially devastating. We were right to act with caution on this one.
    Dreadnought, Skyhook, INXS and 4 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast