Like Tree284Likes

Super Typhoon USAGI

Closed Thread
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    The term overhyped has to be taken in context. Relative to what was being reported, YES this storm was overhyped.

News agencies across the world were reporting this as some super storm of the century. I had people calling me from over 10 different countries.. Worried about me.

Though still tragic for many, this storm did NOT live up to its media hype. Thus the term overhype
    You speak from a position of ignorance. Please go and look at the science and read the charts. USAGI was an extremely dangerous and powerful storm heading directly for Hong Kong. It was only in the last hours that a small jog poleward resulted in it passing to our north. When typhoons pass to our north we are extremely well shielded in HK and should be feeling lucky. Had USAGI hit us or passed to the south the story would have been very different. Had USAGI hit directly or to the south and those half wits were playing at TST the story would have been tragic.

It's easy to talk bollocks in hindsight.

Original Post Deleted
    Or to be directly hit....

Original Post Deleted
    Are you really this obtuse??? Or dense??

Koen said this storm was overhyped... Most normal people would understand what he meant and leave it at that.

We expected a much bigger storm than we got?

Is that the exact definition of overhyped? Well I guess this is Geo so we'll argue about that for pages... But I think his point was pretty easy to figure out. It certainly was for me!

Are you really this obtuse??? Or dense??

Koen said this storm was overhyped... Most normal people would understand what he meant and leave it at that.

We expected a much bigger storm than we got?

Is that the exact definition of overhyped? Well I guess this is Geo so we'll argue about that for pages... But I think his point was pretty easy to figure out. It certainly was for me!
    No, you are extremely dense. You are saying it was 'overhyped' in hindsight. It was not 'overhyped' at all, you simply don't understand what happened. Your ignorance doesn't make Koen's stupid comment any less stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    No, you are extremely dense. You are saying it was 'overhyped' in hindsight. It was not 'overhyped' at all, you simply don't understand what happened. Your ignorance doesn't make Koen's stupid comment any less stupid.
    And you just look for any opportunity to jump down someone's throat. Yes, of course I took Koen's comment to mean over hyped in hindsight... Because the typhoon has in fact passed!!!

Had he said the typhoon was overhyped as it was approaching us... that would be different.

You seem unable or unwillingly to comprehend the general idea. The point is that the storm was nowhere near as bad as the hype that surrounded it. That doesn't mean the hype wasn't warranted, it just means we got lucky.

This storm garnered more international attention leading up to it, than any storm I can remember...and thankfully it didn't turn out as bad as advertised.

For HK, Usagi felt more like more like a typhoon of disappointments

This storm garnered more international attention leading up to it, than any storm I can remember...and thankfully it didn't turn out as bad as advertised.
    It turned out pretty bad for the people who were killed, injured and displaced. (45000 evacuated in Guangdong) If there had not been so much 'hype' and people had not taken precautions many more would be dead.

I guess this is Geo so we'll argue about that for pages...

With you on these boards for sure :-D

Btw Koen can explain himself :-D

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bombastic:
    For HK, Usagi felt more like more like a typhoon of disappointments
    Speak for yourself. Some of us were EXTREMELY relieved it did that little jog to the north. A tiny movement in the scheme of such a large storm yet a HUGE impact for those of us living on the ocean. And a real problem for the place it did hit, spare a thought for them while gloating about how easy HK had it.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

You didn't read the hype obviously "super storm", "1000 kilometers wide", "worst for 38years" even the BBC "it will drop three times the annual rainfall of GB on Taiwan in one go"........blah blah. Obviously a slow week for news even at the end of the silly season. This hype was spread world wide. Not even the "worst storm in 2013 in the region".

I thought it was possible using infra red or whatever to actualy see how much water was in a storm system? Nasa stated that we dont have any weather drones so it was impossible to accurately say what exactly was going on up there.