Like Tree284Likes

Super Typhoon USAGI

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    In the last 15 years no typhoon has taken out electricity or water in urban areas.

There has been some flooding in low-lying areas of Sheung Wan and Wan Chai (and much more extensive flooding in low-lying areas of the NTs), but a major drainage scheme has been commissioned within the last year, so there's unlikely to be any significant flooding now in HK Island or core Kowloon.

No preparations needed unless you have a roof or terrace, in which case you need to get everything loose either indoors or tied down very hard.

Typhoon and Stormies have free shooters whilst the T8 or higher is up. Most larger shops will stay open (possibly with reduced hours if staff have transport difficulties), as will most 7-11s, Circle-K etc (likewise depending on staff transport). Many bars & restaurants basically stay open as normal.

The core MTR (i.e. the underground bits) will stay running at reduced frequency. The overground bits will run until wind strengths get too high (or trees are brought down on power cables etc). Ferries will stop around the time that a T8 is raised - if this matters to you then watch for specific announcements on the ferry company websites. Bus and minibus services will be wound down as wind speeds increase. Taxis will be reduced in number and will haggle for a "T8 surcharge" before accepting fares. There may be some disruption to roads due to trees down.
    One benefit HK has is that the electrical cables are mostly underground and not exposed to the wind and rain.

While flood control has indeed improved there is the issue of storm surge. When the sea itself rise and floods the low lying areas. Sheung Wan on HK island is vulnerable to a surge.

Guys honestly are you scared. I'm a bit panicking :-( Direct hit won't be fun. Did any storm hii HK directly before?

I was panicking but now I know stormies gives free shots, all is in perfect equilibrium thanks to gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock and kimwy66 like this.

It's cheap vodka though...

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    I was panicking but now I know stormies gives free shots, all is in perfect equilibrium thanks to gruntfuttock
    Once Trance is cool I'm cool too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    It's cheap vodka though...
    But its free and same results happen. I end up passed out under a bridge somewhere.
    nickvv likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Do you guys have hurricane parties or similar like they do in Florida?
    See ya at TST ferry pier. The reporters of the major TV stations are always there and I plan on getting on air.
    INXS, Watercooler and Elegiaque like this.

Ok land 1pm Sunday. Head for bar. Wait 3 days for storm to pass. Sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Guys honestly are you scared. I'm a bit panicking :-( Direct hit won't be fun. Did any storm hii HK directly before?
    This is the worst previous storm (in recent times). And it was not as strong as this one is currently predicted to be.

http://www.weather.gov.hk/informtc/90s/york/yorkrp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    This is the worst previous storm (in recent times). And it was not as strong as this one is currently predicted to be.

http://www.weather.gov.hk/informtc/90s/york/yorkrp.htm
    Oh yes I do remember that one. Thanks for the link MovingIn07.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast