drinking water - lantau

drinking water - lantau

Hey,

is the tap water on lantau safe to drink? Just moved into a flat here & was wondering?

Thanks

From another thread on drinking water (in DB):

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    But there's no doubt that the water as delivered to building in Hong Kong is up to world (UK, US, Aus) standards. Any problems that arise do so with the tanks and pipework within an individual building, so you can really only usefully ask this question at the building level. In my experience there is no correlation between how expensive a building is and how well the plumbing is maintained - I've had an expensive apartment where the water was tainted, particularly in summer, and a cheap one where it was absolutely fine.
    From yet another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    The tap water itself is perfectly safe, but the pipes to your building might be old and that degrades the quality/taste of water.

People here do different things: Some boil their water 20 minutes, some boil it less, some filter it, some use spring/mineral water, some purified water, some do nothing at all - Everybody's got their own opinion.

I use a Brita filter for tea/coffee but buy spring water for drinking because I don't like the taste of my tap water.

I've found that the tap-water quality here is much better than in the UK or Australia.
    Myself, I've only had issues with potable tab water in Sheung Wan. Everywhere else has been fine.

That pretty much sums it up. More info in the "similar threads" section below.

BTW, Hokutu- I'm in Sheung Wan... water is fine here, so maybe it was just your building?

Obviously it was just the pipes of the building(s) I was in, given the sections that I quoted.