View Poll Results: FDH shall have probation period ? Yes or No.

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • FDH must have 3 months probation

12 46.15%
  • FDH must have no probation

14 53.85%
Like Tree260Likes

Why FDH no need to go through a probation period !

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cbalex:
    How is using the phrase "cage home" emotive when the phrase accurately describes the housing these people are forced to resort to?

Your posts on this forum which defend almost every third world or feudal practice in this city really demonstrate that you are afflicted with a virulent strand of Stockholm Syndrome. Criticizing Hong Kong for its shortcomings is a civic duty - we should all try and make this is a better city. Explaining away gross norms and behavior by trotting out the culture argument does a great disservice to the community we live in.
    Bravo! Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombastic:
    People in other world cities don't do this and are less likely to an abject working poor because there's is social safety net (assuming they are documented persons). HK is work or not having anything to live on (unless you have a benefactor)
    I agree with this. If HK wants to be taken seriously as a world city, comparable to other world cities, it needs to address this. Some people might not believe in social security which would make their view understandable (even if still wrong).

In the UK, job seeker's allowance is at a minimum, HK$2,800 per month. The only such scheme I can see in HK (and I don't even know if it is in force but it came up on a google search) allows persons of poor neighbourhoods (like Yuen Long, Tuen Mun etc) to claim for a transport allowance of a maximum HK$600 on a reimbursement basis.

Old age pension? UK starts at 65 for men, 60 for women and is at a minimum HK$5,472. HK is at a maximum HK$2,200.

To be eligible for any of the HK allowances, you basically must be dirt poor with no assets.

The big difference in the UK is that every one of its citizens is entitled to reasonable (and subsidised or free) accommodation. There is no such entitlement in Hong Kong. Cage homes are not reasonable accommodation in the UK and even if they were, they would be free.
    Last edited by iliketurtles; 27-09-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    and you guys still think this is not a wind up?

I'm of the opinion that the OP is just an idiot rather than a deliberate wind up. It's pretty hard for an intelligent person to fake this level of stupidity.
    elle likes this.

Hong kong has a social security net. Last i heard was $1800/month but that was about a decade ago. Govt housing is available at a percentage of income. There are also govt health and education susidies available even though the prices for these things are already so low. In many cases govt housing has been offered to some of the cage dwellers and they turned it down. They did not want to relocate and be apart from their friends.

Sent from my N8100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    I agree with this. If HK wants to be taken seriously as a world city, comparable to other world cities, it needs to address this. Some people might not believe in social security which would make their view understandable (even if still wrong).

In the UK, job seeker's allowance is at a minimum, HK$2,800 per month. The only such scheme I can see in HK (and I don't even know if it is in force but it came up on a google search) allows persons of poor neighbourhoods (like Yuen Long, Tuen Mun etc) to claim for a transport allowance of a maximum HK$600 on a reimbursement basis.

Old age pension? UK starts at 65 for men, 60 for women and is at a minimum HK$5,472. HK is at a maximum HK$2,200.

To be eligible for any of the HK allowances, you basically must be dirt poor with no assets.

The big difference in the UK is that every one of its citizens is entitled to reasonable (and subsidised or free) accommodation. There is no such entitlement in Hong Kong. Cage homes are not reasonable accommodation in the UK and even if they were, they would be free.
    This is a wind-up surely? You cannot surely believe that importing the awful social security system of the UK, which encourages entire generations of families to sit on their backsides and never even look for work is a GOOD thing?

HK may be on the low side of assistance, but at least people here try and don't freeload off the rest of us.
    INXS and Fiona in HKG like this.

In the UK, the "allowances" some families get is higher than if they got an actual job and in some cases, it can be higher than the national average salary!

I don't see how this is any sort of incentive for people to work for a living.

I somewhat agree the HK system should change but not at the expense of opening it up to the kind of abuse that the UK system has been suffering from for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    This is a wind-up surely? You cannot surely believe that importing the awful social security system of the UK, which encourages entire generations of families to sit on their backsides and never even look for work is a GOOD thing?

HK may be on the low side of assistance, but at least people here try and don't freeload off the rest of us.
    For sure, welfare benefits in the UK need to be updated to reflect only those in need but the fact is that the UK system does look after those in need. However, for you to suggest that the better approach is to simply discard non-useful members of our society in the way HK does is fucking appalling.
    TheBrit, z754103, dipstick and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:

I agree HK needs to be more for the elderly citizens.

In the UK, even the non-citizens are eligible for government handouts. The UK government is overly generous in the handouts and lax in their requirements to be eligible for such benefits and the worst in monitoring it.
    Even with their citizens, some think the benefits of being on the dole outweigh being off it.
    I don't think the UK is an appropriate example of how to run the social security.

There is no perfect model as the costs are quantifiable but the benefits are not. Every country has to manage the best they can for their own citizens.

HK does need to improve but our standing as a world city is not dependent on social security
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cbalex:
    Good job trolling everyone with your nonsense.

Ps just learn how to cook for yourself. Problem solved.
    How come so many people who give troll like responses then accuse the OP's of being trolls?

I think from what Im hearing most of the troll responses come from people who don't actualy have FDH's at all or any kind of help though they certainly need some.

"How is using the phrase "cage home" emotive when the phrase accurately describes the housing these people are forced to resort to?"

They're not cages. All of the people living in so-called 'cage homes' are free to come and go as they wish. In other countries we would call these people 'homeless'. They are, largely, not 'forced' into these homes. If you bothered to look at the stories they are quite varied: some choose to live there because they like the location, some have burned there bridges with government housing, drug and alcohol problems, divorcees, social misfits.....it's not as simple as you would think....please research and think harder.

"Your posts on this forum which defend almost every third world or feudal practice in this city really demonstrate that you are afflicted with a virulent strand of Stockholm Syndrome. Criticizing Hong Kong for its shortcomings is a civic duty - we should all try and make this is a better city. Explaining away gross norms and behavior by trotting out the culture argument does a great disservice to the community we live in."

Oh please! A great disservice to our community would be slithering and snivelling our way into a welfare state....won't be long now until the bubble bursts in quite a few western countries I think...

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast