English Teachers are scum

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by cloudybay:
    Returning to the topic... I view English teachers who work at international schools as real teachers and their job qualifies as a professional one; unfortunately I don't consider others who work at "language schools", with or without some kind of certificate, real teachers.

Do I disdain them? Of course not; on the other hand, I can't imagine anyone treating them with respect. Does the OP believe him and his peers deserve more? It is what it is, why the gripes?

OK, let me put it this way: would most people--make it Native speakers--choose to work as ET if they could hack it as a computer analyst, an accountant, or ooh, a banker? Sure there are exceptions but I dare say most would say no. Yes, the bottom line is people become ETs here because that's the only job they can get. Not that there's anything wrong with it. What's strange is complaining about not getting respect for doing it.
    As someone once said to me, bankers get paid lots of money as compensation for being born like that.

Respect has be to earned. One earns respect by his/her deeds, not by being in any particular profession. I don't respect a big-shot banker anymore than I do a janitor; I respect those who respect themselves and their jobs AND give their 100% to their jobs.

I might have sounded harsh but give me credit for having a valid view. Leghk, what got you started this thread in the first place? My guess is that you feel dismissed and therefore dissed on some social occasions? I gave you my take on what the reasons might be. Having said that, I also added, IT IS WHAT IT IS, WHY THE GRIPES? Lots of people in other professons feel the same--lawyers in the US for instance.

The question is: Should you care? You aren't going to get respect by demanding it, BUT you will get it by being a great teacher!

the bottom line is people become ETs here because that's the only job they can get
    This was what you actually said, nothing about respecting people who give 100% (unless you mean ETs don't?) or who respect themselves. Just a flippant dismissal of all English teachers. Then you wonder why everyone jumped on you?

As an educated guess (you know them?) I would say you tend to open your mouth (or use your fingers) before thinking.

Respect has be to earned. One earns respect by his/her deeds, not by being in any particular profession. I don't respect a big-shot banker anymore than I do a janitor; I respect those who respect themselves and their jobs AND give their 100% to their jobs.

I might have sounded harsh but give me credit for having a valid view. Leghk, what got you started this thread in the first place? My guess is that you feel dismissed and therefore dissed on some social occasions? I gave you my take on what the reasons might be. Having said that, I also added, IT IS WHAT IT IS, WHY THE GRIPES? Lots of people in other professons feel the same--lawyers in the US for instance.

The question is: Should you care? You aren't going to get respect by demanding it, BUT you will get it by being a great teacher!
    Respect is earned, but there should be a certain amount of respect given until an informed decision can be made.

I give you credit for being honest.

Is judging people on who they work for or how many qualifications they have a valid view?

Was interested to hear other peoples opinions on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by leghk:
    Respect is earned, but there should be a certain amount of respect given until an informed decision can be made.

I give you credit for being honest.
    Is judging people on who they work for or how many qualifications they have a valid view?

Was interested to hear other peoples opinions on this subject.
    I'll second that.

Although Cloudybay's personal views here (and elsewhere on Geo) can oftentimes trigger off a momentary FLASH or 2... or 3, with our supposedly, mostly, upholding some sorta "freedom of expression" etc, she's entitled to say what she likes.

Everyone makes overgeneralizations based on their experiences/attitudes (yeah, meself, very much included ); BUT when one's challenged to "back up" their previous, easy utterances, that may be a touch problematic?

Hey... Friday evening's upon us - let's EASE UP
    Last edited by emmie; 30-05-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Typos & errors, everywhere... Oh-SO shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    Hey... Friday evening's upon us - let's EASE UP
    ...and socialize

Quote Originally Posted by BlueValentine:
    ...and socialize
    Got a meeting at 8pm and you wonder why I'm in a bad mood And I've run out of cigs . Still Wan Chai doesn't liven up til after 10pm so still plenty of time.

...and even if cloudybay said grass was green I would disagree on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    ...and even if cloudybay said grass was green I would disagree on principle.

Ahhh... some of you Geos CRACK me up.

Hm, this weekend's tied up (supposed to be finishing something on me laptop here, but am addicted to...). AND seminars & stuff to attend, oh BORE - there in spirit IF not in mind...

So, maybe another weekend? (Hm, where's that tempting "open tab" at "official" Geo drinkies that KIA was going on about yesterday...)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7